Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

grabbed a 5150 half stack,should i get the BBE for the loop?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: grabbed a 5150 half stack,should i get the BBE for the loop?

Originally posted by Cleveland Metal:

However, they seem to really do something good to a 5150. I don't know why, but they really sound good with that amp. And that is the only amp that I've found that I like them on too.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I never owned/played a 5150, but what I hear from other people is that the 5150 has a whole lot more midrange then any other amp, maybe the BBE's overcompensation on the mids actually turns the 5150 in a normal midranged amp??

Just a theory...

Leon..

Comment

I'd have to agree with that theory. The 5150s target a mid scoop crowd, and to my ears, although a very nice brutal chug (best thinbg around for that style out of the box), they are sort of dead sounding in a way and don't sing so well. The BBE seems to correct some of that.

If you have a real Hi fidelity amp, like say a CAE, Engl or something, you will not like hearing it with a BBE. Even most cheaper amps don't do so well with them to my ears.

Comment

Originally posted by dimebagdolf:
        Hey MeWise!
        You're on the Kramer Board too right?
        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Yeah, that's me over there.

Originally posted by dimebagdolf:
        I enjoy my 5150 II as is, but the BBE really brings it to life. I don't think I'll ever play without it again. [/QB]
        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">So a 5150 II is less harsh and fizzy-fuzzy than the 5150?

Originally posted by El Bastardo:
        has a whole lot more midrange then any other amp, maybe the BBE's overcompensation on the mids actually turns the 5150 in a normal midranged amp?? Just a theory...[/QB]
        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">To me it's like a good high gain Marshall and a Tube Screamer plus a Fuzz-Face adding treble and artificial signal distortion. Just too bright...

[ June 27, 2004, 04:25 AM: Message edited by: me wise majic ]

Comment

To me the sound of the 5150 II is brighter and clearer. Not quite as dark as the 5150. Everything that's been stated here about bringing new life to a 5150 with a bbe is true. Almost makes it a new amp IMO.

Adolfo

Comment

Anyone here running a 5150 or 5150 II with a TC Electronics G Major without a hitch?

I hear that they are not very compatible.

Thanks!

Comment

I solved my problems. I bought a Soldano HR50. The only BBE I can find is a 262(?). Oh well. Junior Member again. Great!

Comment

The 422a sounds like crap with my Uber....It's OK in my Marshall and a necessity for the 5150 ...in my experience..

they are not too bright ...all other BBEs are EXTREMELY bright no matter where you have the definition control set...

if I couldn't get my hands on a 422a ....then I would'nt put anything more in there besides your G Major...

I have a G major in my Uber ...very nice ....There's some EQ capabilities in that unit . I never found it necessary to explore that...plus I'm too lazy to figure it out...

see if you can borrow a high end Monster Cable ...see if that wakes it up..I want to do that myself before I buy one for over $100.

I heard nothing but great things about them from people who use them .....but I suspect it's "justification" because they droppped a buck on it themselves....but maybe not.
                "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

I know someone who's got one... I'll check it out. Thanks yet again.

Comment

Just my humble opinion, but I think Monster Cables are the biggest sham in music gear right now. All the cables I sell, from the $14 LiveWires to the expensive Monster Cables are guaranteed for life, so if it breaks or messes up, then the customer just brings it back to me and I replace it, and the only, and I mean the ONLY ones that ever come back broken are Monster Cables. We stock Livewires, Fenders, Mogami, Planet Waves (the best in my opinion), Rapco, and Monster, and we get an average of one or two Monster Cables returned a week, and no other cables returned. If I ever need to replace my Spectraflex cables, I'm definitely going to Planet Waves.

Comment

Thanks for the cable info Box...I have spectraflex and Rapco too....along with a horde of crappy other ones...
                      "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                      Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

The Rapcos are good too dude...we sell them for cheaper than most too. They have gold plated connectors and are really thick, which is good.

Comment

Working...
                        X