????? about ohms and speakers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ????? about ohms and speakers

I just recently bought a Randall RG-100 Classic 2x12 combo(not to be confused with the RG-100SC).
    On the back of the amp next to the speaker inputs is a button that is switchable between 2/4 ohms and 8/16 ohms. Does it matter which is selected? The speakers are Celestion Vintage 30's and are marked 8 ohms on the back. I don't want to blow up my new amp so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Also, can anyone recommend a good 2x12 ext. cab to go with it?

Thanks,
    Patrick

Re: ????? about ohms and speakers

It depends on how the speakers are wired. If the speakers are wired in parallel(+ to +) and (- to -) then that works out to a 4 ohm load. If the speakers are wired in series (+ to -) and (+ to -) then thats a 16 ohm load. It does matter where the switch is set. If the switch is set incorrectly, then you will blow your audio output transformer. If you have access to a multimeter or know someone who does, you can check the impedance of your speakers across the speaker cable. Hope this helps. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Re: ????? about ohms and speakers

I don't have access to a multimeter, but I did pull the back off of the amp and they are wired + to + and - to -. So that means that I need to put the swith in the 2/4 ohm position. Thanks man, I really appreciate it. [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
      X