Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: mesa boogie...

Originally posted by toejam:
    Just curious since I'm new to tube amps... how many watts are EL84s? My 30-watt Mesa F-30 has two of them with four 12AX7 preamp tubes.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Well, your 30 watt amp isn't really 30 watts if it only has 2 EL84s... not even close. Most amp manufacturers 'fudge' the wattage to fit a target. Also, just because a tube is a 30 watt tube means that's how much power it can disipate... you're not always going to get 30 watts in a single 6L6GC tube amp - much less, actually. It depends on plate voltage, power transformer, and biasing. The plate disipation number is how much it can put out at max before meltdown.

Uh, back to the original question... [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

An EL84 pair in push/pull (class A/B) is going to max at around 17 or 18 watts. Are you sure your amp doesn't have FOUR EL84s?

Some other 2 EL84 amps and their ratings...

Mesa Studio .22 - 22 watts
    Vox AC15 - 15 watts
    Budda Superdrive 18 - 18 watts

Vox AC30 has a quad of EL84s, and is 30 watts...

Pete

Comment

Toejam. don't get upset that your F-30 isn't really 30 watts. I have a 5 watt tube amp that can push a 4 x 12 cabinet loud enough for the cops to come to my house. I am sure your Mesa is crazy powerful. I had a 22 watt Studio 22+ that was loud enough to gig with with one 12".

Comment

try this setting to come close.

treb 0
        presence 0
        bass 10
        mid 10
        gain 10
        volume over half way up.

if it doesn't have enough high end, your not playing loud enough.

this is as close as you'll get to ZW's sound with a dual rec.
        Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

Black_Label...you're not going to sound like Zakk Wylde, ever. Just quit right now. The only guy you're ever going to sound like is Black_Label. Work on that instead of sounding like Zakk Wylde.

Comment

[/QUOTE]Thanks for the info, Pete. I know it has only has 2 EL84s. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] It's some kind of patented Mesa Dyna-Watt power system... not sure exactly what that means, but the thing sure can get loud, and it sounds great to me. Here's info on the F-series amps. http://www.mesaboogie.com/Product_In.../F-series.html [/QB][/QUOTE]

I have owned several boogies (Mk III, .50EL84, 2 .22+, studio preamp, quad, Dual recto rev. chassis, Single Recto, even a friggin' V-twin) but sometimes Randall Smith's BS can get a little deep. "DynaWatt" lol... he might mean peak power, but there isn't circuitry in that amp that is ever going to make a tube give out more than it's dissipation ratings. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Enjoy your amp - that's what matters. Besides, you're not going to hear a real difference between an 18 and a 30 watt amp anyways!

Pete
            builder of the 500 watt all tube Class A Twister Dyno-Mite heads [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

Pete
              builder of the 500 watt all tube Class A Twister Dyno-Mite heads [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [/QB][/QUOTE]

Hey Pete, does your 500 watt all tube Class A Twister Dyno-Mite head have JJ's in it? [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
              Ain't I clever... [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

Dyno-Mite... JJs! I was thinking the same thing. [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by Twisteramps:
                  </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by toejam:
                  Just curious since I'm new to tube amps... how many watts are EL84s? My 30-watt Mesa F-30 has two of them with four 12AX7 preamp tubes.
                  <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Well, your 30 watt amp isn't really 30 watts if it only has 2 EL84s... not even close. Most amp manufacturers 'fudge' the wattage to fit a target. Also, just because a tube is a 30 watt tube means that's how much power it can disipate... you're not always going to get 30 watts in a single 6L6GC tube amp - much less, actually. It depends on plate voltage, power transformer, and biasing. The plate disipation number is how much it can put out at max before meltdown.

Uh, back to the original question... [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

An EL84 pair in push/pull (class A/B) is going to max at around 17 or 18 watts. Are you sure your amp doesn't have FOUR EL84s?

Some other 2 EL84 amps and their ratings...

Mesa Studio .22 - 22 watts
                  Vox AC15 - 15 watts
                  Budda Superdrive 18 - 18 watts

Vox AC30 has a quad of EL84s, and is 30 watts...

Pete
                  </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Thanks for the info, Pete. I know it has only has 2 EL84s. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] It's some kind of patented Mesa Dyna-Watt power system... not sure exactly what that means, but the thing sure can get loud, and it sounds great to me. Here's info on the F-series amps. http://www.mesaboogie.com/Product_In.../F-series.html

Comment

Originally posted by jgcable:
                    Toejam. don't get upset that your F-30 isn't really 30 watts. I have a 5 watt tube amp that can push a 4 x 12 cabinet loud enough for the cops to come to my house. I am sure your Mesa is crazy powerful. I had a 22 watt Studio 22+ that was loud enough to gig with with one 12".
                    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I'm not upset about it at all. I wanted a small tube combo... this is the lowest wattage/least expensive amp they make now. It's just what I was looking for. And, yes, it is powerful and can get pretty loud!! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

not to step on toes at all but i can get zakks sound from a crate combo amp....some harmonics same overdrive........

its just that its a combo amp not a stack.....not loud enough...........

sad to say a randall warhead is the closest sound i have ever gotten.....

anyways i have played many a marshalls...form the jcm 900 ..jcm 2000
                      the new mf-350.....

the overdrive sounded like a broken speaker(crap)

but i have never played a jcm 800............

is there that much of a difference???

Comment

Working...
                      X