Cables

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cables

Where is a good place to get instrument cable in lenghts to make you own patch cables? Also what is a good cable to use and connectors as well.

I currently use George L's , but want cables with soldered connections.
    Madness Reigns......... In the Hall of the Mountain King!

Re: Cables

You can buy George L cable by the foot through many places. Then buy some good connectors like Neutrik. (if you are comfortable soldering them on yourself)
    www.SeveredSavior.com

Comment

Since George L's are solid core cables, I don't think that you can solder them to a standard connection.

I second the recomendation for Nuetrik connectors - much better (IMO) than Switchcraft because they are easier to solder, again IMO. Having recently done 30+ connectors, some of which were Switchcraft and some of which were Nuetrik, I'll never by Switchcraft again. However, in terms of quality, I don't see any difference, just easy of soldering.

I get my bulk connectors and bulk cable from Markertek... www.markertek.com.
      ...that the play is the tragedy, "Man"

Comment

I've never heard of anyone having problems sodlering george L cable to a different type of connector.
        www.SeveredSavior.com

Comment

I didn't know that.... How do you solder the ground to a standard connector using George L cables?

Comment

You can solder solid core wire to any plug - it just takes the right flux and technique. As for the ground, it's still coax - you just have to be VERY careful when stripping it, I'd think.

(I haven't done it with George Ls, but I have with other types of very small diameter coax.)

Mike
            Division - American Metal that doesn't suck. Much. Even on Facebook.

Comment

Cool thanks.

Rick -

Why do you want to solder your George L's instead of using their connectors?

Comment

Actually , I never said I wanted to solder the George L's , jus get new regular soldered cables all together.

One of the guys suggested you could, but I am haveing problems with my cables comein loose from those connectors. I don't know if they are being vibrated or what, but I just wanted to have cables with permanent connections.
                Madness Reigns......... In the Hall of the Mountain King!

Comment

The trick to seperating coax ground wire is to take a tiny screwdriver and GENTLY straighten out the strands. At least that's how I do it.
                  Member - National Sarcasm Society

"Oh, sure. Like we need your support."

Comment

Working...
                  X