No announcement yet.

What do used Soldano preamps go for $$?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do used Soldano preamps go for $$?

What do used Soldano preamps go for these days?? I couldn't find any on da bay and I have been outta touch for a while. correct me if I am wrong but I think the popular model was the SP77. is that right?? What do they go for currently? I remember about a year ago there were alot of them around, what happened? did they get to be a collectors item or something? [img]graemlins/eyes.gif[/img]

Curious as I was thinking of picking one up. Also interested in anyones opinion of the sound of these units. All help is welcome! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "clean sounds are for pussies" - Axewielder

Re: What do used Soldano preamps go for $$?

The sp77 is the most abundant. They sell for around 300-400 dollars US. The purple faced one is the USA made one and the grey faced one is Japanese made. Oddly enough they both sell in the same range. The x88 is a 3 channel model that is up in the 1200 range. And last is the x99 midi unit with the motorized knobs. They are usually 1800 and up. But I have seen a few that are under that price.
    We must!
    We must!
    We must increase the bust!
    The bigger the better!
    The tighter the sweater!
    The boys are counting on us!

Comment

I have a sp77 that I run with a Mesa 20/20. It's perfect for all kinds of 80's rock. I wouldn't say it's noisy. It depends what tubes you use also. I wouldn't think you would need the BBE or the compressor/sustainer with the sp77. You may want a noise gate. I have hush on my replifex but always have it set very low if I use it at all. The tubes compress a great deal so you definitely won't need a compressor/sustainer. At least mated with the 20/20. I haven't run it with a bigger power amp but hear others get similar results. A lot of members on the board seem to use the sp77. Great preamp for the money.
      We must!
      We must!
      The bigger the better!
      The tighter the sweater!

Comment

Cool! Thanks a bunch guys! I will keep my eye open for a good deal on one. [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/band.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

I also have a SP-77 with the optional factory Warren mod to it running through a Mesa 50/50 poweramp.

It is awesome for that 80's rock/glam tone. The lead sound is where it really shines, along with glassy/distorted rhythm guitar.

I have gotten really good Dokken/Ratt/Journey sounds out of it.

I think the BBE is a must-use with it...just tightens it up really nicely.

Comment

Hey thanks! What about the sound?? Have you played through one? I have been using a marchall JMP-1 loaded up with a tube screamer, compressor/sustainer with a noise suppresor and a BBE 442 thru a marshall power amp to get good tone but the JMP-1 is a bit noisy at idle. Can anyone tell me what they think of the sound of these. Good for 80's rock/metal?? I play the "cheese rock" no one likes, Journey, REO,etc.... will it sound good for that?

Comment

With a good power amp, it should sound GREAT for that. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Mike
              Division - American Metal that doesn't suck. Much. Even on Facebook.

Comment

Originally posted by Tonemonster:

I play the "cheese rock" no one likes, Journey, REO,etc....
                <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Your killin' me! I have a Journey CD in right now! Neal Schon smokes!
                Chief Guitar Geek at George's Music Center
                www.georgesmusiccenter.com/theguitarstash
                [email protected]

Comment

There is a 77 on ebay right now! I have one and love it. For the money, there is nothing better, IMHO.
                  www.sandimascharvel.com

Comment

Thanks SLO100!! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] , I am on it! Maybe I can pick one up. [img]graemlins/band.gif[/img]

Yo 'burst... I LOVE that music!! [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] I was not being sarcastic. I am a "Cheese Rock" fanatic!! I am SO 80's that it hurts! [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

I keep cruising ebay looking for 1985 IROC camaros in electric blue with T tops, while wearing my pale yellow IZOD polo shirt with the collar up and my acid washed jeans(ripped of course) [img]graemlins/bs.gif[/img]

Comment

To contrast what everyone else has said, Matt Pike from High on Fire uses an SP77 through a Carvin poweramp as his maing stage rig. Nowhere near 80's in that tone. [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

Originally posted by Black Mariah:
                        To contrast what everyone else has said, Matt Pike from High on Fire uses an SP77 through a Carvin poweramp as his maing stage rig. Nowhere near 80's in that tone. [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
                        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">So it's versatile too!
                        We must!
                        We must!
                        The bigger the better!
                        The tighter the sweater!

Comment

Cool.. I am still keeping an eye peeled for a deal on one. That one disappeared off ebay. I will just keep looking I am not in a hurry anyway.

Comment

I see theres a Grey one on da bay now. it has a buy it now of $450. that seems a bit steep to me, or am I too low? I was thinking $300 to $350 MAX for one of these. I mean with the crappy economy and all, and all the mail order music places are running big sales so the music market has got to be down somewaht. SO am I just being cheap? or can a bag one of these for $300 range?? I like the purple ones better too. All info is appreciated!!! [img]graemlins/band.gif[/img]

Comment

That's a bunch of bullshit. lol That is a Japanese sp77. Custom shop my ass. I think they should sell for 200-300 but I'm always seeing people making the mistake of paying what a USA one goes for. Hell 450 is steep for a USA one even.
                              We must!
                              We must!
                              The bigger the better!
                              The tighter the sweater!

Comment

Working...
                              X