Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

VHT CL: can I get a clean sound out of them?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VHT CL: can I get a clean sound out of them?

I know the VHT CL's have 2 channels, each with a gain and master volume control. What I've never been able to get out of anyone is if I can get a super clean, undistorted sound out of channel 1. Some people say yes, others say sorta...

So...will the clean break up on channel 1? Is this essentially an amp with 2 high gain channels? I have a VHT 50/Two Twelve combo. The clean is clean. It doesn't break up, even with EMGs. It has a single volume control for the clean channel.

Thanks.

Re: VHT CL: can I get a clean sound out of them?

Well, I have a 1993 VHT Pittbull CLX-100, the 3 channel model, and basically I can onl;y get clean out of the clean channel, then chncky rythym out of the rythym channel and soaring sounds out of the lead channel, and I can stack all 3 channels for different sounds, and I have a presence and depth knobs and graphic eq built in with 2 Celetion Lead 80 speakers, I love mine, very high gain and articulate!! I also use EMGs and other pickups, but only on the clean channel can I get clean. Jack.

Comment

From my experience with it, no. I couldn't "get a super clean, undistorted sound out of channel 1" to save my @ss. It basically has 2 gain channels: gain & more gain. If you need a dedicated clean go for the UL or CLX.

Comment

Thanks. That's what I thought. Why on earth would they build an amp w/o a clean channel?

Comment

I disagree with Wizard as usual... here are a few clips of the 50/CL I had. Not the greatest cleans in the world, and quickly recorded, but clean imho. One is EL34, one is 6L6.

http://members.cox.net/okstrat/Amps/VHTEL34clean_C.mp3

http://members.cox.net/okstrat/Amps/VHT6L6clean_C.mp3

Sound clean to you?

Pete

Comment

I disagree with Wizard as usual... here are a few clips of the 50/CL I had. Not the greatest cleans in the world, and quickly recorded, but clean imho. One is EL34, one is 6L6.

http://members.cox.net/okstrat/Amps/VHTEL34clean_C.mp3

http://members.cox.net/okstrat/Amps/VHT6L6clean_C.mp3

Sound clean to you?

Pete
            <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">[img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] That's what I love about Pete. He never posts anything w/out being able to back it up. Actions speak louder than words, so to speak. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Originally posted by Twisteramps:
              I disagree with Wizard as usual...
              Pete
              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I guess we'll have to agree to disagree then. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Clips are the worst thing to base buying an amp on IMHO. I'd strongly suggest you try the amp out in person yourself. There are way too many factors that can not be accurately portrayed in clips.

Comment

Even though I don't have an interest in the cleans, per se, those clips gave a fair example of the difference, tonally, between the EL34s and the 6L6s. So Thanks, Pete!

Cheers,
                Nick

Comment

Originally posted by Misanthrope189:
                  Even though I don't have an interest in the cleans, per se, those clips gave a fair example of the difference, tonally, between the EL34s and the 6L6s. So Thanks, Pete!

Cheers,
                  Nick
                  <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Somewhere I have some dirty clips of the amp with 6L6s and EL34s... I made those clips in the first place so I could hear the differences. Everything else was the same on the amp - same settings, guitar, etc... only difference was swapping tubes and changing the EL34/6L6 switch to match the power tubes.

Pete

Comment

Pete, if I'm playing at club performance volume, will the clean break up at that level?

Comment

Originally posted by Venomboy:
                      Pete, if I'm playing at club performance volume, will the clean break up at that level?
                      <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">That was recorded at band practice level - can't remember my settings, but the preamp was pretty low and the channel master was cranked. It was loud enough that if you were in front of the cab (4x12 w/Celestion lead 80s) you would have a headache in short order.

I guess it depends on how loud your 'club performance level' is, and also how efficient your speaker cabs are.

Pete

Comment

Thanks for the clips Pete.

I do agree that amp clips aren't a good basis for buying an amp but they can open your ears to the possibilities of amps.

Comment

Working...
                        X