Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5150 and the triple XXX?

Originally posted by jgcable:
    I will probably get flamed for this BUT, I personally think the XXX smokes the 5150. I even wonder if it was a smart move by Peavey to come out with the XXX. It does everything better than the 5150. 3 channels, more gain and a great clean channel. With proper dialing in you can get it to sound very close to a 5150. You just need to turn the gain down a bit because it has much more than the 5150. Good thing for Peavey that Eddy endorses the 5150 because it he didn't I am sure that Peavey would have replaced it with the Triple X. Ok boys.... flame on!! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">hearing things like this is why i am considering a XXX [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
    see i love the 5150,but am looking for more vesitility,like i want one channel pure clean,the next for heavy high gain rhythms and the last for a volume boosted high gain solo channel only and the 5150 does not do this [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]
    so IF the XXX has a tone remotely similar to a 5150 on the second ch for rhythms and the same type of lead tone on ch 3 i am getting one fast! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] but it has to have the supreme sustain a 5150 gets no problem [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Re: 5150 and the triple XXX?

You will have no problem with sustain, especially on the Ultra ch.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6M4lm9Ahz0

Comment

people that say it sounds like mush loud are probably running the gain on 10. i recently sold my XXX and ran the gain at about 10 to 12 oclock depending on my mood. Anything more than that was rediculous. I also changed the tubes to some Svetlana EL34's it sounded way better like that IMO.
      1+2 = McGuirk, 2+4 = She's hot, 6-4 = Happy McGuirk

Comment

For a lead guitar player, the Triple X is a great choice. The ultra channel is outstanding for solos and you should be able to dial in a really decent 5150 tone on the 2nd gain channel. It is a great amp and getting to be known as a real monster. Its a little pricey but all good amps are anyway.

Comment

I'd actually disagree, here - I think the 5150 is a MUCH better sounding amp than the XXX, except in the clean department - which the XXX wins hands-down.

I didn't find the Ultra channel to be that exciting, personally. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Mike
          Division - American Metal that doesn't suck. Much. Even on Facebook.

Comment

FYI....XXX heads seem to be selling for around $600 to $650 on ebay on a regular basis. Not bad for a 3 channel amp.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael:
              I'd actually disagree, here - I think the 5150 is a MUCH better sounding amp than the XXX, except in the clean department - which the XXX wins hands-down.

I didn't find the Ultra channel to be that exciting, personally. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Mike
              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Satriani was using them at the last G3 and many people claimed that he had the best tone out of all 3 players.

Comment

As always it's subjective. I'm just glad I liked the XXX sound better because it's far more versatile and all channels are usable. Not to mention it's much quieter too.

I’m hesitant to give my full opinion until I have gigged or at least jammed with a full band. I sure love playing this sucker though.

Comment

good point! i always forget that. i thought it has a noise gate built in. mine was silent between songs.

Originally posted by Dave:
                  Not to mention it's much quieter too.
                  <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">
                  1+2 = McGuirk, 2+4 = She's hot, 6-4 = Happy McGuirk

Comment

I'd pretty much guarantee you that you could play with that amp all day and not sound like Satriani did with it.

By your reasoning, I saw In Flames with 5150s, and they sounded AWESOME - one of the best live tones I've ever heard - so it's the better sounding amp.

I'm relating my personal experience with the amps, which is the only thing I really trust. I only give minimal credence to tones heard in live settings - there are too many variables.

I think, with one of my guitars plugged straight in, that the 5150 sounds better. The only way Shreddin' Ed will know for sure if HE thinks that is if he plays through one. The 5150 is cheaper, so it's the logical starting point, IMO, too. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

</grumpy>
                    Mike
                    Division - American Metal that doesn't suck. Much. Even on Facebook.

Comment

5150 and the XXX have the same list price. 5150 II is a bit more.

Like you say Mike there are too many variables, I have two EMG 81 loaded Jacksons and even they sound totally different through it.

Yeah Buzz it has some kind of noise suppression built in.

Comment

I recently aquired a triple X. I bought it on a whim and it sat for months. I dug it out the other day and started using it. WOW, I was really suprised at how good it sounded. It has a different drive/gain sound than the 5150. I always felt the 5150 reminded of a Soldano and my Triple X leans more to the boogie sound, except it has way more gain if needed. I actually like it better than my buddies boogie, less buzzy sounding. With three channels and the damping control make it a much more versitle machine than I every thought.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael:

Mike
                          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">+1, For essentially a one trick pony, the 5150 does a hell of a trick. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] The XXX amps I've played through didn't do much for me, but hey, it's all opinions at this point.

If somebody has a XXX and prefers it, that's all that matters.

Pete

Comment

Satriani's sound with the XXX this tour was noticeably different than it was two years ago at the same venue with his previous setup. He seemed to get a fuller, more intense sound with the XXX amps. Obviously, other things in the signal chain could have changed as well, but it was the same Satch through the same guitars, so I tend to think the amp was the main factor in the difference.

Comment

The 5150 can be modded to have a much better clean and a third channel added. I have clips of several modded ones on my page.
                              I don't care for the XXX stock. I've played several with 6L6's and E34L's and the E34L's helped but it wasn't the amp for me. I just modded one to get more of the tone I was looking for and I kills now. Stock to my ears they are thin, weak, lack dynamics, and sound more like a solid state amp than a tube amp. No warmth.
                              I can't speak other than what I've read online but from what I hear Satriani's amps aren't stock.
                              Jerry
                              FJA Mods YouTube

Comment

Working...
                              X