Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 5150 and the triple XXX?

Originally posted by Michael:
    I'd pretty much guarantee you that you could play with that amp all day and not sound like Satriani did with it.

By your reasoning, I saw In Flames with 5150s, and they sounded AWESOME - one of the best live tones I've ever heard - so it's the better sounding amp.

I'm relating my personal experience with the amps, which is the only thing I really trust. I only give minimal credence to tones heard in live settings - there are too many variables.

I think, with one of my guitars plugged straight in, that the 5150 sounds better. The only way Shreddin' Ed will know for sure if HE thinks that is if he plays through one. The 5150 is cheaper, so it's the logical starting point, IMO, too. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

</grumpy>
    Mike
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I agree that Ed has to decide for himself but he did ask for advise. With that said, let me address your above comments:

1. I pretty much gaurantee I could sound like Satriani with most any amp. Especially the same amp he used live at the G3. I am a shredder you know and I have been tearing up guitar necks since the word shred was first uttered. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

2. I owned a 5150 and gigged with it for almost 2 years. I agree it is a great amp for what it does. I also admit that it is very noisy at high gain settings, the clean channel sucks and it would have been very helpful if it had a 3rd channel. The Triple X addresses all of the above. I am just giving Ed my opinion. The Triple X is a very nice offering from Peavey. Personally I prefer the Flextone HD, the Vetta 2 and the HD147 myself. What ever blows your skirt up bro....
    [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Comment

5150 and the triple XXX?

are these things a lot alike in tone? i like the extra features on the XXX,but love the tone of the 5150? I have no way to hear a XXX in person so i hope someone here has the answer?

Comment

The XXX has a ton of gain and 3 channels. The damping switch on the back makes a huge difference. I think it sounds very different than a 5150. The 3 channels really do have different voices. The 5150 to me is a less versatile amp. I have yet to hear a XXX really opened up and I would like to really play with one myself.

I've heard a lot of people say the XXX sounds like mush opened up. But I've heard just as many people say it sounds fantastic all the time.

When I've demo'd them in stores, I kept the gain around 70-80% and there was a TON of gain. I'd say way more than a Recto.

Comment

I will probably get flamed for this BUT, I personally think the XXX smokes the 5150. I even wonder if it was a smart move by Peavey to come out with the XXX. It does everything better than the 5150. 3 channels, more gain and a great clean channel. With proper dialing in you can get it to sound very close to a 5150. You just need to turn the gain down a bit because it has much more than the 5150. Good thing for Peavey that Eddy endorses the 5150 because it he didn't I am sure that Peavey would have replaced it with the Triple X. Ok boys.... flame on!! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

JG -

I was in a bad mood yesterday, so that probably came off a little harsher than it should've. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] However, what I meant had nothing to do with the ability to "shred" - I can play Satch stuff, too, but it doesn't have his TONE. It has MY tone, playing Satch's music.

It goes back to the age old debate - where does the tone come from? I think it's mostly the player, from my personal experiences.

I will agree that they're really friggin' noisy, though.

It is all subjective - personally, I won't be selling my Triple to buy either one anytime soon - but if I did, I'd buy a 5150 and have JerryP mod it!

Dave -

I was actually talking about used prices - I'd only buy either used, personally. Thanks for pointing out the prices on new ones, however. I guess Eddie get quite a royalty for them to be the same price, huh?

Hammer -

This is an interesting exercise in how subjective things are with amp tones, because I think the XXX sounds LESS like Recto - I'm assuming that's the Boogie you mean - than a 5150 does. It's missing the searing high-end crunch that the Rectos have, IMO, whereas the 5150 has that as part of the tone - although different, it's still present.

As always, YMMV, as Pete aptly points out. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Mike
            Division - American Metal that doesn't suck. Much. Even on Facebook.

Comment

It all good Mike.. Thanks for the reply bro.. [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Comment

Originally posted by hammer:
                I always felt the 5150 reminded of a Soldano and my Triple X leans more to the boogie sound, except it has way more gain if needed.
                <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">[img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img] if this is the case it would be XXX for me hands down then! i prefer a boogie tone to a soldano tone all the way! soldano's are fine but not for me,i prefer the UMMPPH a mesa gets. i personally can think of ONE METAL band that uses soldano's? is there any?
                on the other hand bands like testament,metallica(old tone guys! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] )etc use boogies and they freakin roar!
                that is what i like a amp with real good thump and some clarity for rhythms and a singing,thick articualte lead tone with sustain for days [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

and BTW you ALL here have been very helpful with this, thanks for all the insight! [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

I agree with Venomboy. The Triple X has much more gain than a Mesa Dual or Triple. Especially on the ultra channel.

Comment

Originally posted by shreddin' ED:
                      </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by hammer:
                      I always felt the 5150 reminded of a Soldano and my Triple X leans more to the boogie sound, except it has way more gain if needed.
                      <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">[img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img] if this is the case it would be XXX for me hands down then! i prefer a boogie tone to a soldano tone all the way! soldano's are fine but not for me,i prefer the UMMPPH a mesa gets. i personally can think of ONE METAL band that uses soldano's? is there any?
                      on the other hand bands like testament,metallica(old tone guys! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] )etc use boogies and they freakin roar!
                      that is what i like a amp with real good thump and some clarity for rhythms and a singing,thick articualte lead tone with sustain for days [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
                      </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Larry tarnowskie used a soldano SLO when he was playing with Iced Earth. BOO YA!

Comment

To me, the XXX is close to a Recto's overall tone but has more gain than the Recto. The 5150 sounds like an different beast all together. My friend brought his 5150 over and he played next to my Recto and it really was a night and day difference.

Comment

how much is it to just get a third channel put in a 5150? i am thinkin maybe it would be a mistake trading without ever heard a XXX first [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]
                          I really just want that extra channel,because i HATE to use the same tone settings for leads as the ryhthms [img]graemlins/puke.gif[/img]
                          plus i want the leads to have a volume boost when switching to that 3rd channel [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

I can add a third channel, but it doesn't have a separate EQ. To add that would be extremely involved and expensive. What I do is add the ability to use the clean, crunch, and lead channels of the 5150 each by itself. Right now if you want a clean tone you have to push the crunch button while on the rhythm channel and turn down the rhythm channel pre gain. What I do is add controls so the clean is independent of the crunch when using the rhythm channel. I don't change the lead channel at all. This gives you your 3 channels, clean, crunch, and lead. If you normally play the lead channel and are looking for a boost from there, your best bet would be an EQ pedal in the loop for a boost in your level and maybe a mid boost. Adding a third channel is between $150-250 depending on your needs.
                            Jerry
                            FJA Mods YouTube

Comment

Never mind, he beat me to it.
                              Division - American Metal that doesn't suck. Much. Even on Facebook.

Comment

Working...
                              X