Marshall 1960 wiring???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marshall 1960 wiring???

I pulled the back panel off my 1960A today at work on lunch to find out what speakers were in it. Then people started to gather round.

And what did they say??

"300 watts with little shit wires like that??"

They all thought that the red and black wires looked really small, ans suggested that i take them all out and put in thicker guage speaker wire instead.

They all have good electrical knowledge, (mines basic cuz im still an apprentice) so are they right??

Ive never heard of this on this board and was just wondering if it would help??

Re: Marshall 1960 wiring???

Many people rewire their cabs with heavy stuff like say monster cable, and say it helps improve the sound.

I've been too lazy to try it. I do hear that it helps though...

Kinda odd they use like 16 gauge, for say 300 watts, when people often use monster cable for 100 watt home stereo stuff... Monster is what, like 6 or 8 gauge?

Comment

I noticed the same thing in my AV & BV cabs too Cleve. And like you I have been too lazy to do anything about it, they sound just fine to me.

Comment

I rewired my old Randall 4 X 12 cabinet to stereo using #12 THHN stranded and crimp connectors.

Wire is cheap, but if you are going by a commercial building that is being constructed, the electricians will probably just give you a few feet of it.

If not, it is really cheap at a super home center, like Lowe's etc.

Comment

Well i gave her a go. I picked up some 14 guage speaker wire from radio shack and re-wired the left side while leaving the right side.

The results: meh

I **think** i hear a difference, but im pretty sure its all in my head. I took an ohm-meter and measured both wires old and new (both with connectors) Old: fluctuates between 0.02-0.03 ohm new, fluc' between 0.01-0.02 ohm

and by the way it was a top of the line fluke meter.

summary, probably not worth the time IMO.

maybe 14awg was still too small to make a diff??
          maybe radio shack sux?? [img]graemlins/baby.gif[/img]
          maybe ill try again with ticker wire

Comment

Working...
          X