What Preamp is a good choice?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Preamp is a good choice?

Hey, just wondering what Preamps poeple use/like around here. I am thinking of getting a Rocktron Chameleon 2000, along with a behringer 130 dollar footpedal( the one with two expression and 10 regular pedals). Will I be able to use that footcontroller with the rocktron? I plan on using this combonation with a Marshall AVT150. I was also wondering what you guys think about the AVT150 itself, is it any good or should I go with a tube amp. I think I put a post up here about my guitar specs, and it was drowned, too bad. I was hoping for some feedback there. Anyway, have a good day!

Re: What Preamp is a good choice?

I'm not impressed with the quality of Behringer stuff. Pretty cheaply made.

The Rocktron stuff is cool if it's the older units. new Korean stuff is plagued with troubles for now.

I'm a fan of: (of course) CAE preamps(mega tone, but expensive), Rocktron (priced right good quality, fairly flexible), Engl (awesome tone, pricey), Tech 21 (flexible, somewhat reasonable cost).

Even the POD pro junk has its place and at least works well and is easy to find a useable tone it.

I'd recommend a dedicated power amp and not a head. I prefer tube stuff myself like VHT, Engl, Mesa. For cheap, the older Peavey 60/60s or 120/120 tubes power amps are the deal.

Bear in mind, some tube modeling preamps actually sound more correct with a good solid state power amp.

What kind of music are you trying to do with your rig. Bands, style etc...

Comment

my friend got a FCB1010 (was that the name?) and he likes it pretty much. he also got a Bluedevil that looks pretty heavy too and never made any problems.

and I personly can't second the speechs about behringer beeing cheap stuff, too...

I got a small rehearsal amp (the vintager GM110) and this thing is built like a rock!!! really a bang for the buck, never seen such a solid small amp around...
      further I got a Vamp2 I like and use a lot and a shark feedback destroyer I use for vocals.

I'd go with behringer anytime. they got my trust.
      tremstick give-away (performer series trem)

Comment

oh, and the FCB will work with the chameleon (which is a great unit btw). sounds like a good plan to me.
        tremstick give-away (performer series trem)

Comment

Behringer takes other peoples stuff, copies it, reproduces it with low quality parts, and sells it cheap.

Call it a speech if you want. But, as player for 25 years I've bought, used, and sold more stuff than you can imagine my friend, and you get what you pay for quite often.

Cheap is not usually good, and good stuff is not usually cheap. Pretty simple. I wish it were different, but I've owned their stuff, and it's cheaply made stuff.

If you might use the thing a lot, you really don't want a cheap MIDI pedal with crappy switches. Buy a decent peice like a Rocktron Midi Mate and be pleased for the life of the unit.

Comment

ART Xtreme pedal or ART DST-4 rack preamp, if you can find one. I've used the Xtreme through the following:

Laney tube combo (forget the model)
            Peavey Classic tube combo (2x12 and 4x10)
            Peavey TransTube Special solidstate combo
            Peavey Special 112 solidstate combo
            Jackson Apogee 50 tube combo
            Crate head...Excalibur maybe?

It's analog distortion, no models, with three different distortion types and a very basic digital effects section. The DST-4 preamp is the same, but in a rack version and using a MIDI pedal.
            sigpic

Comment

I went the cheap, used route with my first trip into the rack realm. Peavey Rockmaster pre and Classic 50/50 power.

Comment

I've got the Chameleon 2000 (the most recent model), which I use direct into the board through an ADA Ampulator speaker/power amp simulator, which beefs up the sound considerably. I don't care for the speaker sim in the Cham, in comparison--too boxy and sterile. But it combination with the Ampulator, the Cham absolutely kills.

I suspect the Chameleon would sound great through a real power amp and 4x12 cabinet, although I've never tried it that way. The Cham has as much gain as you can handle, and it never gets mushy on the low-end--very crisp and defined sound.

Comment

Working...
                X