Amp EQ tech question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amp EQ tech question

I have a Metaltronix M-1000 (simmalar to a modded JCM800). I honestly love the thing to death, the tone I get out of it is great. The one thing that I can complain about is that the EQ controls (Bass, Mid, Treble) really don't make a big impact on the amp's EQ or tone. I'm really thinking about trying to fix this myself. Would this be a simple task of maybe replacing cap or resistor, or is this a major job? As you can see by me asking this, i'm not an electronic whiz, but I can do little things like replace things (caps, pots, ect.). Thanks in advance!

Re: Amp EQ tech question

Hey John,Dont mess with the head.Remember I told you they are really good for 1 tone only.What I did when I had mine was run a bbe 422a maximizer in its effect loop.This does make a drastic difference.Or you can look into buying a EQ.Dont start farting around with the heads innards you will kill its resale if you ever decide to sell it.Those heads are great for what they are but they are very limited.Maybe you should sell it and get the xls1000.The xls has a much better tone and you can actually get some bottom end out of it unlike the m1000.Hope this helps you.Paul

Comment

Thanks everyone for your input!! Well, i'm certainly not going to fool with it, and i think I like it to much to sell it. I have an old DOD FX40 7 band that i'll try out. I never thought of using that, it just lays in my room. I'll also check into a 422a. Thanks Flo, John, and Paul!! [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

I would rate it as a major task. Yes replacing a resistor or cap is easy if you know how to solder. But you should know the WHY behind. If you don't know how the EQ is working and why those specific values are in the circuit you shouldn't mess with it. Sure you can go ahead and replace caps but it's very important that you should know what you are doing.
        You are way better off with an external eq. Or maybe try a Boss EQ pedal in front of the preamp. Can also do the trick (that is whatever you are looking for in terms of sound)

Flo
        http://www.myspace.com/drasticviolence

Thrash/Death-Metal from Germany

Comment

Yeah, I'm with Infernal. Look to outboard EQ. Try that pedal, or maybe even some sort of parametric like a TC-1140, Furman PQ-3 or Rane in the loop. They will usually give a ton of very serious control.

Comment

Working...
          X