What is THE best Marshall

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is THE best Marshall

I've been intensely researching, and would like to hear from the Marshall users on the boards which Marhsall they have and why the love/hate it. This will help me a lot, and I've been looking at the Super Lead 2 2203 and the AVT 150. Thanks for any info.

Re: What is THE best Marshall

I hate Marshall amps with every fiber of my existence. Always have and thought I always would. I recently bought a JCM800 Lead Series Mark II 50 watt, model 2204 head. It kills!! The only drawback...it is single channel, no FX loop, and only has moderate gain stock (mine is modded, but with the "boost" mod disabled it still gets the stock sound). For me it was perfect because I'm not a death-head, shred-head...I bought it for its authentic 70's-80's metal sounds (UFO, Rainbow, Scorps, Maiden, Priest). If that's the sound you like it is great. If not look somewhere else.

Now, when I flip the mod switch on my head it will KILL. Now it still isn't a recto, bogner, soldano, etc., but it will sustain and cream-up beautifully (think Mark series Boogie). Best part, it was relatively cheap, and it does exactly what I wanted it to do. It is not a be-all-end-all head...I use it for a specific tone, and that's it.

I can't copmare it to the AVT150...I've never played one and most likely never will. Hopefully the info I gave you will help.
    GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

My favorite is the 59 Plexi.

Comment

I like the 2203/2204 Marshalls. They can be modded to have an effects loop, more gain, or channel switching. I have a 2203 that screams. Check out the clips.
        Jerry
        FJA Mods YouTube

Comment

It's been said the Anniversary model, 6100 is the best Marshall ever.

Comment

When you get to the older models..I find every Marshall can differ in characteristics from amp to amp. They also take some care/maintanence and possibly tweaking with outboard equipment.. eq's and such to really get optimal 'Marshall' tones.
            A Marshall can be a finicky, but typically, you should be able to plug in an old Gibson Les Paul and get some classic great tones without any outboard gear.
            I like non master amps..they seem to clean up better when the guitar volume is down and still have a nice warm character..but not necessarly a clean like a Fender would have.

I personally like the older JMP 50watt Mk2's from the early 70's. Modded and cranked...these amps are fire breathing dragons thru some old low wattage celestions like the 25 watters.

Runner up is the 50 watt mk2 master vol/JCM 800 style from 77-79.

I agree, the 6100 is supposed to be a great amp...whether it's the best or not is a matter of taste and application.

Comment

Any Mark Cameron modded Marshall!
              1970 era JMP that Mark has modded with the Doug Aldrich mod is killer.

Comment

I had an AVT50, combo amp for a while. The gain wasn't all that spectacular, and the clean channel wasn't all that impressive either. I sold it, and bought a 5150, much better, once I had the guys on this board tell me how to set it up, properly.

Comment

I have an AVT150H paired with a 1960B cab. I like the combination a lot, it's very versatile and it rips when i want it to do just that. It has an acoustic simulator that sounds pretty good with a single coil pickup, and clean but special with a humbucker. All in all, great bang for the buck. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Hope it helps.
                  Facebook - Youtube

Comment

OLD Marshalls. My preference are the old Model 1959 Super Leads, preferably, a 67-73 1/2. My favorite so far, is the 69-70 Metal faced Marshalls, they've got a wee bit more gain than the older Plexi's, but they're smoother and less abrupt than the later Metalpaneled heads.

6100's are Damn good amp's, I've had 3 of them, and I love 'em, They're the best Multichanneled amp Marshall has ever made IMHO,[LIST] but I'll take an old Marshall over one everytime.

Comment

2203/2204 JCM800......
                      "Now remember, things look bad and it looks like you're not gonna make it, then you gotta get mean. I mean plumb, mad-dog mean. 'Cause if you lose your head and you give up then you neither live nor win. That's just the way it is. ":JOSEY WALES

Comment

MINE! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

87' JCM800 50watt Trace modded monster o' tone.

Comment

Does My 9200 mono block w/ 5881s / JFX-1/JMP-1 into four Marshall 1960b cabs count ...I bought this stuff new in '96 ...I sold my soul and a couple of Marshall JCM 800s to get this bastard ...It did have the best Marshall tone I've ever heard up to that point ...and I had a lot of Marshalls ...A blue one , a red one , a fawn one , a white one , a silver one and a couple of 'ol regular black ones ...I had to use pedals and whatnot...except for those 800 lead series dual ch. heads...they had almost just enough gain for pretty much what I needed.

This bastard sounds like early Van Halen to Criss Oliva (tone wise)...as a matter of fact Iv'e never heard a tone in my life that is closer to Oliva's sound with this damn thing ...Hall of the Marshall king Baby..

Well the damn thing does sound great ..I got a BBE422 in the loop and it ...pretty good for a great <arshall tone ..

I HATE any DSLs ...I mean they are the crappiest Marshall I have ever heard ...besides that new crappy solid state one ...what happend to Marshall ...they used to make great sounding amps... [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

As a head My two 100wt JCM 800 lead series dual channel w/ reverb where awesome ...those are the best heads in my opinion ...those and the old JMP...MKIIs..!!!

Hey those Marshall heads I had ...what was the model # of those ???....they're great heads!!!

Old Marshalls are Great man

But I a little spoiled right with my Uberschall ...so I'm finally gonna sell all my rack stuff and buy another one ...to run in stero ...Ubers in stereo ...that gotta be a good thing...right???!!! [img]graemlins/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

[ December 17, 2003, 01:50 AM: Message edited by: horns666 ]
                          "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                          Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

I don't think there is one best amp... but rather alot of very good ones. From early '70s metal panel JMPs, to the JCM800 2203, to the Jubilees, to the current DSL 100/50... they're all great amps depending on the particular type of tone you're after.

Comment

Yeah the DSLs are different ....total apples to oranges when compared to The JCM 800s or even 900s..

They have a whole different feel ...More Nu metal sounding ...IMO They are a lot more spongier and dirtier ...but not in a good way ..IMO...I can't articulate any speed picking on those damn things ...I like the rectos much better....and I don't like those.

Owned 100wt DSL for a month ..Me and John tried our asses off getting anything remotely decent out of it...nada,,,so on the Bay it went..

You can always make an old Marshall sound good ...with cheap mods , pedals , eqs ...whatever....not DSls [img]graemlins/refuse.gif[/img]

No Offense to anyone playing those ...if it does what you want and inspires you to play ...that is really what a good amp is all about....just not my amp..

You could never go wrong with a JCM800..that's a safe bet ..and you can always sell it very easily if you didn't like it ...you can go from AC/DC to Morbid Angel in a push of a button...really , and sound great doin' it.

I have to say that the whole JCM800 series era was Marshall at their very best..IMO
                              "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                              Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Working...
                              X