Starting Rack => need advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starting Rack => need advice

Just to give you an idea about some of the bands you named, Dissection used Marshalls and At the Gates used Peaveys. For my band's demo recording, I ran an ART Xtreme distortion pedal (with chorus) into the clean channel of a Jackson Apogee 50 combo (dual 6L6GC power tubes, Celestion V30s), and then to a Peavey Sheffield 2x12 cab. A mic in back of the Jackson and another in front of the Peavey worked out really slick, and I was able to get close enough to the Dissection tone I wanted.

This may not be at all what you had in mind, but the rackmount version of the Xtreme, the ART DST-4 preamp, might get you the results you want, if you can find a good tube power amp. They made a head version also, but not sure how the power amp section was. Either way, the old ART preamps are discontinued, but often available for dirt cheap on evilBay.
    sigpic

Starting Rack => need advice

hello guys, i am now starting a Rack.
    for now my gear has been :
    Jackson RR-1
    into peavey 5150 head
    into VHT Fat bottom cab with P-50e Speakers

Been playing guitar for 5 years now with musical theroy lessons from a guitar teacher.and Practice minimum 1 hour a day.

I am in a all-star Bruxelles band called burning skies. we do verry verry melodic Death-core
    Bands wich can come close ( so you get the idea )
    -Dissection (the somberlain/storm of the light..)
    -The black daliah murder ( Unhallowed )
    -Children of bodom ( all albums except new one )
    -At the gates
    -and a twist of decapitated for share brutality

I always loved my peavey 5150 head, becuase it did the sounds of Misery index , decapitated, Nile , Aborted ...bla..bla..bla

but now with this new projedct i really need a good power /preamp wich can do good brutallity but also those leads from Alexi laiho !!!

i have a shot at a few used preamps and power amps:
    Poweramps:
    -Mesa 295
    -Mesa 50 / 50
    -Mesa 20 / 20
    -Engl 840/50 ( wich i might buy new )

preamps:
    -Mesa Formula preamp ( didn't like it at all )
    -Mesa Quad
    -Engl 530
    -Soldano ...77

A guy might trade his Mesa 295 and formula preamp against my 5150 + 400 € but i tried out his combination and i didn't like the formula preamp at all !!! but it is a verry good deal

so plz help me guyz to find the perfect match for my needs. I will of course try the stuff out, before i'll buy it. but first i would like to have some input from you guys.

thx verry much in advance

Spart-xAnusx

Comment

Re: Starting Rack => need advice

just to ad, i still have the stock pickups in my guitar ( Jb/59 ) but i have a set of Emgs( 81 / 85 ) lying at home, wich will be installed soon.

Comment

so you know how much they cost ?
        and do you know if there common in Europe ?

Comment

I read in teh slaughter of the soul album inlay that they used custom 2x12 cabinets that they made themselves and boss metal zone pedals. Whatever they did, it sounded badass. At teh Gates are the kings of the melodic death metal! [img]graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

Yeah,SOTS has been recorded with a ss Peavey and a boss mt-2.They recorded at Fredman studios,although! [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
            X