Peavey XXX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peavey XXX

Can anyone tell me if the Peavey XXX is worth a crap? I've had a sales person tell me they have a kick ass low and middle for the "crunch" that I am looking for but without having had any time spent playing one I still can't build up the nads in dropping $1500 bones on one.

Brad

Re: Peavey XXX

$1500 bones! [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] dunno where you live but streeet price on them is $899. it's a good amp for the duckets. i liked mine, was better with EL34's IMO. people will tell you they sound like rectifiers. having owned a XXX and recently spending about two hours in a shop with a triple rec i'll say they're not even close.
    1+2 = McGuirk, 2+4 = She's hot, 6-4 = Happy McGuirk

Comment

Sorry... $1500 for the head and cab.... Music store will let the head go for $849....
      Thanks
      Brad

Comment

Find one used, and let someone else take the hit. They do not hold value very well.

An ok amp, not worth list though. Peaveys answer to the recto sorta...

Comment

Don't listen to the salesman, play it yourself. Let your ears decide if it's the amp for you. A lot of people dig them but I don't care for them stock. They sound better with EL34's but still not my thing. I did some mods on one and I might consider getting one for myself now. To me they are thin, buzzy, and solid state sounding. There's no charactrer to anything I played on them.
          Jerry
          FJA Mods YouTube

Comment

Does anyone have a link to some info on a rectifier? I've never played one.

Thanks~
            Brad

Comment

Rannalli has one and hopefully he'll jump in here somewhere, but I've heard his and it sounds pretty damn good.

It wasn't muddy or mushy at the low levels that we were jamming at, but I havne't heard one cranked yet.

I hear all this great crap about the Mesa Tripple rectifier, a guy cam and auditioned for our band with one and it sounded like total crap.
              Madness Reigns......... In the Hall of the Mountain King!

Comment

I just got one myself and like John said, get one used because none of the Peavey stuff holds its value. I have mine stock, I play EMG 81 equipped guitars through it and I doesn't sound SS to me at all. Lots of tight gain, I actually use the crunch ch and I have it at 1 o clock. I use lots of gain too. Most crunch channels I hear don’t have quite enough gain, but this has a ton.

I have heard some people say the Ultra ch sounds the same as the crunch but I can set both channels up the same and my little girl even knows the difference. The Ultra has a warmer sound overall.

The clean is clean! Period! That’s the way it should be, if you want a slightly broken up clean sound then you will need to use the crunch ch with the gain turned down.

Try it out with a couple different cabs and don’t forget about the dampening switch cuz it has quite an affect on the sound.

Most people who buy em are happy with them and I'm one. I know there is better stuff out there, but it's going to be at least 2x the list price of the XXX. It's built soilid and I wont sweat it too much hauling it around to gig and jam.
                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6M4lm9Ahz0

Comment

Brad -

The place to start for a recto, is, obviously, Mesa Engineering. Most people are talking about the Single, Dual or Triple Solo heads when they say "Rectifier".

Of course, if you've heard KoRn or Creed or Godsmack, you've heard the tone Rectos are usually associated with.

If you want to hear a non-"Nu-Metal" example of Mesa TripleRecs in action, check out my band Division's mp3s at MetalAges Records - we're about halfway down the page.

For a heavier Recto tone, check out Testament's "The Gathering" or "First Strike Still Deadly".

Oh, and, for waht it's worth, I don't think the XXX sounds a damn thing like a Recto. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Hope this helps.
                  Mike
                  Division - American Metal that doesn't suck. Much. Even on Facebook.

Comment

Just a thought. You might also want to check out Carvin. I can't vouch for their current line, but I had an old X100B head that kicked major ass.
                    Member - National Sarcasm Society

"Oh, sure. Like we need your support."

Comment

Carvins don't have anywhere like the amount of gain you get from a Recto or an XXX. Nice amps, though. I also had one years ago.

Comment

Oh, and, for waht it's worth, I don't think the XXX sounds a damn thing like a Recto
                        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Well, I say that as the XXX seems to me to be somewhat fizzy, loose and/or farty sounding, you know, like a Rectifier.

Hehehe... [img]graemlins/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

Comment

I'm with Dave on this one. I have a 1x12 and have been very pleased with it. Reminds of a boogie with a lot more gain. I think it is great amp for the money.

Comment

I wonder if some of the XXX complaints are due to tubes. I mean, guitar store amps get abused I think.

I've tried about 3 different XXX amps (2 combos, 1 head)

I thought the head sounded boogie-mushy while the combo's I really enjoyed.

Or maybe it was the cabs.

Comment

XXX's come stock with Sovtek 6L6's and Electro-Harmonix 12ax7's. like i said earlier i thought it was vastly improved with the EL34 Svetlanas.
                              1+2 = McGuirk, 2+4 = She's hot, 6-4 = Happy McGuirk

Comment

Working...
                              X