Peavey Butcher

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peavey Butcher

I just picked one up today at a price I couldn't resist. I got it in a local pawnshop and talked the guy down to $250 out the door. Seems like a great price for a good condition, good quality USA made, 120 watt all tube head! The sound reminds me of an orignal JCM800 from the 80's. Anyone else own or used to own one of these? Thanks [img]graemlins/band.gif[/img]

Re: Peavey Butcher

Yeah, I have played them a lot. They are pretty cool old amps. Is that the one with the plate on the front that covers an EQ DIP switch?

I have a friend that used one for years. Toured Europe with it in a band called Mystic and recorded a CD with it. Sounded just fine really.

Solids amps really. And you can't hardly beat that price for a real all tube head...

Comment

The VTMs have the DIP switches with cover
      plate. The Butcher was the amp preceding
      the VTM, but similar, except I don't THINK it has the DIP switches. Of course
      I'm a DIP shit, what do I know? [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

By functionality, ruggedness and sound, you can certainly say it's worth $250.
      On the other hand, VTMs sell on Ebay for $150 all the time, so it's a bit high. On the THIRD hand, you got to check it out in situ and decide you like it, and
      didn't have to pay $40 or $50 for UPS to
      throw it around getting it to you!

Bottom line: if you dig it, it's worth it! [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
      Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

The Butcher doesn't have the DIP switches. The Butcher is very similar to the JCM800.
        Jerry
        FJA Mods YouTube

Comment

The VTM's have the DIP's. Pretty good sounding amps, for that time period.
          The Butcher is what Tony McAlpine used on his first (and possibly second) CD...
          Should be able to get some good sounds out of it IMO - and at not a totally bad price.

Comment

I actually had one of these, and used it until I went to a rack system in 1990. They're very good sounding amps, much like a JCM800, but with the 6L6 "sound". I used mine with a Boss DS-1 and GE-7, and got some surprisingly good tones out of it for playing thrash.

Sadly, the head was stolen out of our rehearsal space in 2000. Bastards. [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

The cab that came with these was awesome - bigger & heavier than a Marshall, and equipped with Celestion G-12K 85s. I still use mine with my TripleRec, and it's the only non-Recto cab I've heard that can really handle the bottom end of that amp. Good stuff.
            Division - American Metal that doesn't suck. Much. Even on Facebook.

Comment

Michael, I think we've talked about this before. I too had the matching slant cabinet. I never did manage to get a decent sound out of the head, but that was probably due to my lack of experience at the time coupled with the fact that the tubes needed replacing. I wish I had never gotten rid of it, but like they say, hindsight is 20/20. I still have my cabinet, and wouldn't give it up for anything. The speakers are truly awesome, and the thing is built like a tank. Even the Tolex is better and heavier than the cheap crap you get on most amps.

On Ebay last week someone was selling a matching bottom cabinet. I've never seen a bottom cabinet before, so I bid on it, and got outbid by $5 [img]images/icons/mad.gif[/img]
              Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

zeegler -

Yeah, mine sounded like crap for the first two months - then I replaced all the tubes with Groove Tubes, and it sounded really nice.

My cab's been through - don't ever let any member of Vicious Rumors borrow your cab if you have any respect for your speakers - and it still sounds great. I've thought about replacing it a couple of times, and I keep arriving at the same answer: Why?

I should look around for the bottom cab, too - I knew they made one, and I almost bought the full stack back when I bought the amp. Wish I had - it was, what, $1000 for the head & two cabs?

Mike

Comment

Mike -
                  What did VR use for amps? I remember for the self titled CD they had Marshalls modified by "GoMad" Amplification...

Comment

Wayniac -

By this point (Powermad 1997), it was Geoff and Steve Smyth, and Geoff had a Langner (sp?) Preamp and Poweramp combo (Like Tim and Craig from Forbidden), and Steve had a TriAx and a 2:90. They played, ahem, LOUD.

Hmm, the filters took "h*ll" out of my original post. Dam n The m!

Mike

Comment

Working...
                    X