Marshall 9200

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marshall 9200

Is that a upgrade from the 9100. I´ve found on real cheap and I want more power. Horns, wou are pretty happy with your 9200 right?? Does it have okey bottom end??

Re: Marshall 9200

Better bottom end than a Marshall EL34 100-100 as it is 6L6 and they do a bit better. Those amps are chock full of troubles, my stuff had tons of problem and were hard to fix due to their multi board construction. It worked ok, till I used it playing shows a lot, then it started breaking all the time.

Save a bit more and buy a MESA or VHT, or even a cheap Peavey 120-120. No joke man, those amps are a pain and built crapfully.

Comment

Except the trouble and the lacking of bottom end, how did the sound change when bying the VHT. Did you get some decent sound with the marshall?

Comment

Well My 9200 mono bloc and JMP1/JFX 1 was the best sounding stuff that I've heard at that time ...back in '95...I still have it ..I get a very Van Halen / Chris Oliva tone out of it ...which is what John and I wanted at that time ..I still have the sound at my finger tips if I ever wanted it!!

But Nowadays that tone is just a little too sedate for me ...even thogh the Marshall stuff has a great lead tone ...I always thought so ...but it lacks a lot of that really , heavy , balls out chug for rythms..like my Uber does...

Comparing that to a VHT or the Bogner is a bit of a difference ..that's for sure ...

Apples and oranges in amps and tone...

Old school tone verses new ...I suppose.. [img]graemlins/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

OH BTW ...I have a BBE 422 in the Marshall to beef up the low end ..it helps ...but still not brutal ..

I haven't any problems with mine ..and I do play it very often ...very loud a lot of ocassions ..but I never gigged with it ...or moved it or jostled it around..and I don't plan to...

It gives me tones I can't achieve with my Bogner ...like a Merciful Fate / King Diamond tone ...or any authentic old Marshall tones..that's one thing I like about it ...it's a great sounding "Marshall"..
        "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
        Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Well, other than the reliability problems, I'd been basically pleased with the sound I was getting from the Rack mount Marshalls. I was using that EL34 100/100, and was just not so happy with the accenuated midrange I was getting, and wanted a tube that would be more even in response.

In comes the KT88 and I was very happy. You can't compare the KT88s to a EL34 so, that would be unfair. But, I have used the VHT EL34 amps, and they don't seeem to lack the bottom end that the marshall lacked at all. I had a friend that had both the Marshall EL34 100/100, and the VHT EL34 amp, and preferred the VHT by far.

"Almost" made me wonder about owning one of the VHT EL34 amps. But, I'm pleased extremely with the 2150. This poor boy starved too much to get the 2150, so I spose I'll wait till I hit the lotto to get the EL34 version.

Honestly, if you're looking at used stuff, I'd have to say look at the Peavey Classic 6L6 60/60s or 120/120s, they're cheap and sound great. And better built than the Marshalls.

If you're looking at new stuff, then the VHT is right in line with the marshall stuff, just slightly more.

Comment

Yeah The 5881's (6L6s) are definitley warmer and better bottom end...I seemed to gravitate towards amps with 6l6s..like 5150s and shit..even Marshalls..I'm not that found of EL34s..as of yet..

John's KT88s in his VHT 2150 is the shit ...I never heard a better sounding poweramp...I was wondering if I could put different tubes in my Uber it has El34's I know it would sound better with 6l6s or even better KT88s ...

I had two Ampeg VL-100 Lee Jackson heads ...one loaded with EL34s and one with 6550s ...that made a big difference ...that showed me the best example of what different tubes can really sound like..

If you can get a good deal on a 9200 ..try to get the 5881s ..they sound better to me...better bottom ..less midrange..
            "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
            Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Working...
            X