Marshall Players READ THIS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marshall Players READ THIS

This is a follow up on my other post, and I was looking at the JCM 800 2203 and it doesnt even have a distortion channel!?!? Which of them do you think is better-

JCM2000 Triple Super Lead
    JCM2000 Dual Super Lead
    JCM800 Super Lead
    AVT 150

IS there a cheap mod or something for a distortion channel or what on the 2203?

Also what other amps do you recommend?

I'm looking for an amp that can Rage distortion but at then end of the day the clean sounds pretty good too. My influences range from Dave Mustaine to Steve Vai to Jason Becker... and many others. I just don't want to be outdone by my lead player who uses a Carvin Legacy.... there has to be a reason all these people play Marshall.

Re: Marshall Players READ THIS

The 800 is all distortion man! It's basically 80s distortion, but with pedals it can be a fairly serious piece. Don't buy a new re-issue, they are built like crap with crap components.

As for the rest of what you listed... Junk. Though I'm sure someone will just love them.

Sad, as I was always a big marshall guy. They have certainly lost my support in the last 15 years or so.

I look to VHT, Bogner, Engle, MESA etc now for quality well made equipment. Marshall is a shadow of their former self.

Comment

Originally posted by Cleveland Metal:
      Don't buy a new re-issue, they are built like crap with crap components.
      <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Please explain.

Derek

Comment

Originally posted by horns666:
        They looka nd appear to be the same on the outside but they are thrown together with cheap parts by people who don't give a fuck...and It sound excatly that way ...all new Marshalls suck ass..
        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">When was the last time you opened a reissue?

Derek

Comment

They are made with sub par, thin boards that have less than industrial thickness copper traces, and the components are low grade.

Pretty simple, they're crapfully made.

And I've been inside the re-issues. Still just crap. sorry.

Get an original.

Comment

for one marshalls are not known to have a good clean sound anyhow...but yes i agree the only marshall i owned that i liked was an original jcm800 who i sold to djroba.......but the newer reissues i dont think are anything to talk about. our other guitarist has a dsl anbd i cant stand that thing....
            www.myspace.com/adawnwithin

Comment

look to VHT, Bogner, Engle, MESA etc now for quality well made equipment. Marshall is a shadow of their former self.
              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Ok, so whats should I be looking at from those other various companies. Thanks for the help, sucks that it's true.

Comment

It's too bad people have too knock gear just because "they" think their gear is superior, but I guess that's how some people are. Oh well I guess that's how it is when you know EVERYTHING! hahaha [img]graemlins/bs.gif[/img] What fucken difference does the thickness of a pc board make? Give me a break dude!

Comment

I'm not knocking it because my eqiupment is superior my unknowledgeable friend.

When you have to have it repaired, and you will, the thickness of the traces mean everything as thin ones lift off the board and make repair unreliable. The thickness and cheapness of the board in a tube amp is EXTREMELY important as the heat in one is extreme, and Marshall uses cheap sockets mounts directly to the cheap board. Yeah i want that...

Maybe keep your comments to something you're knowledeable about.

Comment

I am not going to slam any brands. I have Marshall gear and like it and I have Mesa gear and LOVE it. I have nothing bad to say about Marshalls, I think they make good quality gear, but I really think MESA has them beat in quality and sound departments. (Plus Mesa's look WAY cooler [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img] ) If you really want to go broke try out the MESA Roadking, I have one and it is extremely versatile. Great tone, great features, but its spendy. Those Mesa rectoverbs are a littel monster too. Big sound for the price and size of the combo.

Look around and try some Mesa's out. You will probably be impressed. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/band.gif[/img]
                    "clean sounds are for pussies" - Axewielder

Comment

I've have a TSL100 and so far, it's held up. For the music my band plays (80's female rock) the TSL100 sounds great. The clean and crunch channels so far have not failed me and I've been able to get the tone I needed to make these covers sound good. My only beef is with the footswitch, it just died on me and it's about $150 for a replacement.

joe...
                      www.godwentpunk.com
                      www.myspace.com/godwentpunk

Comment

I like the sound of the Marshall JCM2000 TSL and the DSL. They both sound decent for just a head with no outboard effects.

As far as which amp to recommend if you want a Marshall I think you will be happy with either of the 2 I mentioned. If you dont want a Marshall there are a crapload of other makers out there who will make you happy as well.
                        www.myspace.com/mortality

Comment

PC board layout, design and manufacture will have a huge impact on the tone, reliability and longevity of an amp.
                          1+2 = McGuirk, 2+4 = She's hot, 6-4 = Happy McGuirk

Comment

Originally posted by Cleveland Metal:
                            and Marshall uses cheap sockets mounts directly to the cheap board. Yeah i want that...

Maybe keep your comments to something you're knowledeable about.
                            <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I'm not any kind of Tech and when it comes to any electronic's I am very unknowledgeable but the reissue 800's tube socket's are mounted to the chassis.As far as your comments regarding the boards and traces I'll need to ask some tech's I know ofand see what their comments are. I currently have a Splawn Modded 800X and am interested to know if what you say is true. But even if you'r right this amp Kicks Major Ass

Derek

Comment

Now now Cleve, unknowledgeable?? hahaha Whatever you want to think! I fix my own gear when & if it needs fixing! Sounds like you been hanging around with your friend that was banned from the JCF for too long now! ( The both of you are very opionated & "THINK" you are knowledgeable) but would probably have to pull his CAE preamp out of his rack to send it off for repair if it needed it. (not knocking CAE) I can't stand people that slam gear! go rant & rave and slam gear on your own board. Get a life!

Comment

Working...
                              X