Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Marshall Players READ THIS

Originally posted by JacksonGuitars4Life:

IS there a cheap mod or something for a distortion channel or what on the 2203?
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Contact Mark Cameron about Marshall mods. He modded my '77 JMP and it totally rips. It sounds different from my other amps but I like it as much as my SLO 100 and VHT 2150 with preamp.

Comment

Derek, I wouldn't worry about your PC board cracking unless it were to fall on the ground or get thrown around by some roadie! I guess some people need roadies if they are "ROCK GODS" and have racks of pre-amps, power amps and effects! [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] And even if it did crack it could be repaired without having to buy a new board. Don't let silly comments like this make you wonder. It's all bullshit!

Comment

I had thought for some reason or another that the newer Marshalls used cheaper components , the primary thing being a cheap transformer.

The 2203 is a killer amp if your are into a single channel or sound. I use a BOSS Super Distortion and a Boss GE7 and can get some nice metal tone...and LOUD...I have 6550's in mine.

I haven't heard the 2203x (re-issue) but I'd like to hear the Splawn mod on it. I really can't tell too much from the mp3s on their site...I'd like to hear a before mod and after mod pm3's. I have heard some good things about Splawn mods.

I like the tone of new "boutique" amps but man...$3000-$4000 for a head is out of the reach of the average working musician. Hell I can afford it but I don't gig anymore so I can't justify spending that kind of coin...I'd rather have a few more guitars than an expensive amp when I can make what I have work for me in my sitiatuion.
        shawnlutz.com

Comment

Well, when you say that because my equipment is superior I think everything else is crap. That is extremely wrong. I would advise someone to buy a much cheaper Peavey 120/120 before a Marshall amp as they are actually better made and MUCH cheaper. It's not always what you pay.

And when you don't take logical concepts like low grade components or cheap board and transformers into mind and make a comment like that, it tells me you are talking unkowledgeably.

It's not like I'm some rich guy and buying boutique amps. I'm just poor ghetto working musician dude that starved to get the overpriced stuff that I realized I needed to et the results I wanted.

When I say these things like "this or that is crap" or whatever, it's because I'm trying to save someone the time and financial losses that I made learning all this. I've bought, sold and lost so money on stuff it's disgusting. 10s of thousands of dollars I've wasted learning, and i try to lend that knowledge hoping to save someone the troubles.

I have owned marshall for 15-17 years. And used to consider them the best thing around. And actually, the old ones are pretty outstanding, even for what was essentially a budget/musicians type of amp.

But sadly, I found out that the new ones are quite badly made, using low quality components.

By the way,I haven't talked with Vince in just under a year. It was pretty funny, early last year when my engineer buddy and I went to bias that 2150 that Vince owns "several" of (hehe) we rang him to ask a question as he "repairs them all the time" etc. He didn't have a clue about anything we were asking. My buddy just shook his head and said "that guy doesn't know anything about what he's talking about". We were laughin our asses off.

Dude, I'm pretty offended you would rank me with someone like him. Thanks man. I may be opinionated, but that is low to equate me with a moral scumbag. I'll take that as another unknowledgeable statement.

You da man [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

Cleve, Sorry dude! I thought you and him were pretty tight. I take that one back! [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]

But my cheaply built modded Marshall still kicks ass Cleve. At 39 years old, I have had quite a bit of gear. More than most, and playing gigs since the age of 15 I think I know gear and what's good & not so good.

Case closed. Let's move on...Let's slam the buzzy sounding cae preamps now! (JUST KIDDING) [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

Comment

Originally posted by Tonemonster:
              Look around and try some Mesa's out. You will probably be impressed. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/band.gif[/img]
              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">double that. And look beyond the rectumfriers, but also give the older marks a shot: I have a quad preamp with 50/50 poweramp. Should be a mark IIc and mark III in one preamp. the first thing is pretty obvious, the socond one less, but the mark serie amps rule.

harrald

Comment

I'm 39 too, and played clubs since I was 15 too... Hmmm.... You sure I'm not posting to myself?

And actually, the CAE3+se DOES sound buzzy. I hated it when I got it and was sick to my stomach with buyers remorse. I had to play with it a lot for a few months to get it sounding good, and althouhg I'm happy as I've ever been, I still seek better man.

I had to mod that thing, pull its gain back and slam the front end with an EMG PA-2 preamp and use a paramtric to get it where I wanted to keep it. But, I know, there is not really a better made piece out there to start with if you're gonna mod it. Seem insane to mod something so expensive. But, I'm using it for something it wasn't designed for. So, I'm unique in my needs and I guess it's my curse to have to do that.

But, I've owned my share of MK IIs, 800s, 900, DSL 2000, EL34 100/100s, you name it, and I was never pleased totally with them either. Close sometimes, but still needed some versatility they didn't offer.

I'm praying for the day that my engineer buddy brings me a modded 800 that just kills me, it will happen someday, or he'll build his own version of an 800. Then maybe I'll be a Marshall guy again. But not really, as he replaces everything but the transformer basically.

But, I'll never go along with what they now charge for what they give the customer. Not when MESA, Engl, VHT, Riviera etc are so close in price.

Comment

I hated my DSL100 when I first got it.. wanted to sell it right away cuz I kept having to put a pedal in front of it to get a decent tone. Over time and some tweaking I finally got it to sound pretty good.. actually I just recorded an .mp3, maybe I'll post it and then you could hear it. I've had mine for about 4 years now and haven't had any technical problems, but the components are definitely not that good quality, just take care of it and it'll be fine. The main thing that helped my tone was playing through EMG's.. they really brought the amp to life. I might get Tracy@voodoo to mod it since he can get rid of the fuzziness apparently which is my main complaint at this point. My second complaint would be the muddiness when the gain is up, hopefully I can get cleaned and tightened up by modding it.

Comment

I almost ordered a Dual Rectifier before ordering my Marshall but I think the Rec's are geared more to today's metal sound. scooped mids, & alot of low end. You could say I'm stuck on the 80's metal sound. I love my midrange. I'm thinking about ordereing another Splawn head but the next one will have the Mercury Magnetic output transformer and Splawn's clean mod as well.

Have you ever tried a Splawn modded Marshall Cleve?

Comment

No, I hear they sound much better than stock 800 for sure. As always, i'd rather have the guy mod an old (holy grail) early 80s horizontal input jack 800 with the good power supply instead of a new one.

MESAs are generally too flubby for me. Hence my being a Marshall guy for so many years. My rig now, is sorta what I feel a really good marshall shoulda sounded like.

Comment

Here's a clip from my DSL100.. all pure tone except for the slow lead part in the middle, I added delay for that.. everything else is guitar straight to amp recorded with the shittiest computer mic availabe [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Oh yeah, normally the amp doesn't sound that tight but for some reason I think the signal was compressed somewhere along the line..

Clip

Comment

Damn Lev. Maybe you could tell me what you did there to get that nice sounding recording; i.e. mic placement and volume. I have the same set up practically but I can't get a decent recording to save my life. [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

Comment

Hey, nice lead tone there Lev, right around 1 minute in... [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Always enjoyed Marshall for that particular nuance... Sweet lead tone.

Comment

Originally posted by Freehill:
                              Damn Lev. Maybe you could tell me what you did there to get that nice sounding recording; i.e. mic placement and volume. I have the same set up practically but I can't get a decent recording to save my life. [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
                              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">haha.. well I'm working my way towards being a producer and I have a bunch of whacky techniques.. you're going to laugh when you hear how I recorded this.. Since my amp was sort of cranked, my shitty mic couldn't handle it too well, and I couldn't turn the amp down or else my tone would get worse. I couldn't put the mic far away either, cuz it picks up so much noise. So I'm thinking about what the hell I can do to get it working and I noticed a half full 2 liter Sprite bottle on my desk. Got the mic, put it underneath it (the bottles got a funny base shape that the mic fit into).. so about 1' away from my speaker grill I've got a Sprite bottle with the mic underneath it. I recorded and it sounded much better but it was a bit muffled.. so I poured some sprite out, that took care of it.. and thats what I used to record [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] My overall volume wasn't that loud, i think around 2-3 (can't really remember).. Starting in January I'm planning on buying a bunch of recording gear so we'll see how that goes.

Yeah John, the lead tone is pretty sweet.. its the rhythm tone that pisses me off, ah well, hopefully I'll get Trace to improve it a bit sometime.

edit: Freehill.. what I would suggest doing is getting two SM57's, put one right up to the grill and put the other one 3'-6' away. Then you can adjust them in the mix and get a pretty good recording.

[ December 21, 2003, 07:10 PM: Message edited by: Lev ]

Comment

Thanks Lev. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Sprite, eh. I usually drink Coke but what the hell [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                                X