Marshall Players READ THIS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Marshall Players READ THIS

They looka nd appear to be the same on the outside but they are thrown together with cheap parts by people who don't give a fuck...and It sound excatly that way ...all new Marshalls suck ass..
    "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
    Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Mmmmm I just bought a "new" Re-Issue 1987xl head with the Splawn Mod in it. Fucking thing rips heads off! I took the chassis out of it's shell, Looks like any other Marshall, except for the mod! It's well built. It's not ptp, but I don't care it sounds fantastic!

Comment

Cleveland metal and myself went through so many Marshalls in the last 25 years ...I couldn't count ..

I think Marshall were at their very best during the JCM 800 era ..

I do still like my Marshall 9200/JMP-1 rack stuff...it's a great Marshall tone ..in a old school way ...total 80's metal... [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

My Uber ...well that's another story... [img]graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img]
        "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
        Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Originally posted by JacksonGuitars4Life:
          This is a follow up on my other post, and I was looking at the JCM 800 2203 and it doesnt even have a distortion channel!?!?
          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Why not look at other model JCM 800's. All JCM 800's whether single channel or 2 channel are distortion filled.

Comment

I have a DSL50 and I can't say that whatthe other guys are saying about the reliability issues and crappy parts, I can say when I got mine , my tech who is the authorized repair guy for Marshall suggested that I get a better transformer put in it.

It cost me about 120.00 and now it sounds great. I have had several forum members actually come and hear it and they seem pretty amazed that it is a newer Marshall. Ones jaw even dropped as he cranked out Metallica tunes through it [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

The clean channel is about as good as you can get, and with a chorus just sounds great. Guys have heard it in my bedroom and live at a gig and I was even told that when I was runninig it in the half power mode, that it sounded like a Mesa. I don't know about that, but I didn't like the sound until I ran it on full power and cranked it up a bit.

I've had it for about 2 years and never had a problem with it. The only thing that I need with it for my taste is a BBE and some guys on here will flame that, so that is a whole other story.

I can say from testing out a few of them before I got one that the TSL AND DSL did sound different. I didn't care for the TSL and one major reason I went with the DSL anyway was because the footswitch on it is a standard 1/4 inch type and not that weird 5 pin thing on the TSL.

Plus, if you run a tubescreamer with the clean channel and some EQ, you can get a GREAT 3rd channel out of it. It sounds kinda like an AC\DC type thing with the TS.

I play anything from Metallica to Old Ozzy and Fuel, Creed, Nickelback, Disturbed, Eve 6 and Seven Mary 3 and about the only thing that it doesn't sound so good on is the Disturbed stuff. I don't know if I fooled with it if it would do that stuff, but for the all the other stuff I listed it does it all rather well.
            Madness Reigns......... In the Hall of the Mountain King!

Comment

Couple of random thoughts regarding newer marshalls...

thickness of circuit boards matters, along with thickness of the traces on the boards. Every time you're swapping preamp tubes on an amp that has em mounted to the board, you're flexing the board. A thinner board (or one that doesn't have much support) is going to flex. Flexing is bad for reliability.

Cleve was right on regarding the boards traces also... repeated heating (and poor soldering or using too much heat) on those traces will make them lift up and come off the board.

In my opinion, the important things to look for on an amp are pots that are NOT mounted to the PC board, *all* tube sockets (preamp and power)mounted to the chassis, and if it's a PCB amp, thick traces on the board and a nice thick board that is properly supported so it won't flex. Lack of PC-style ribbon cabling is nice too.

A marshall TSL has 5 circuit boards I think, or damn near close to it. Why? I'd bet that the service departments for Marshall probably stock entire boards and just replace THOSE instead of components on the boards. Well, except for when they reheat the cold solder joints on the boards, which is a common fix for TSL and DSL woes.

Before anyone thinks I'm a total new marshall basher, a friend has a TSL that sounds decent. However, new marshalls do spook me as far as build quality. My friend sent two back and kept his 3rd: another friend with a TSL had to have his serviced also. The friend on his 3rd TSL also has owned two DSL401s: First one had major problems pretty much out of the box. I had a JCM800 for awhile, along with an old plexi 50 and a '77 JMP 50 watt: all three of those amps were damned near bulletproof. I bet all of em are probably still rocking somewhere.

I really doubt the newer marshalls will live as long as the older ones, but you never know.

Pete

Comment

Pete, I think you are in-correct on this. Pre amp Tube sockets are not mounted on circuit boards in Marshall Re-Issue heads or any Marshall TUBE HEAD for that matter, They are mounted in their own sockets which are mounted to the chassis. Also the pots in a Marshall tube head are not mounted to circuit boards, they are all mounted to the front of the chassis.

Maybe the solid state stuff has the pots mounted on the boards but I never looked or really care.

When was the last time you opened up a Tube Marshall head? [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]

Comment

Ok, i got it now that new marshalls are a little shaky on reliability. What amps should I be looking at from Bogner,Engl, and VHT?

Comment

Originally posted by JacksonGuitars4Life:
                    Ok, i got it now that new marshalls are a little shaky on reliability. What amps should I be looking at from Bogner,Engl, and VHT?
                    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">hahaha anyone of them if you want to shell out that kind of cash and it's the sound you want.

They're all good! Including Marshall! All depends on what you like for a sound.

Comment

Tell me where I stated specifically about marshalls tube sockets being mounted on PC boards and I'll retract that. I meant what I said regarding *all* amps built that way. If a marshall isn't, kudos to them. The new marshalls are still unreliable compared to many other amps in the same price range and lower.

Pete

Originally posted by Fretburner:
                      Pete, I think you are in-correct on this. Pre amp Tube sockets are not mounted on circuit boards in Marshall Re-Issue heads or any Marshall TUBE HEAD for that matter, They are mounted in their own sockets which are mounted to the chassis. Also the pots in a Marshall tube head are not mounted to circuit boards, they are all mounted to the front of the chassis.

Maybe the solid state stuff has the pots mounted on the boards but I never looked or really care.

When was the last time you opened up a Tube Marshall head? [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]
                      <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">

Comment

I just saw the prices and yea, they're a little over my head. [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] I'm looking for something in the mid thousand range. What do you suggest?

Comment

Hmmm...Line 6 has some pretty good Marshall models! HAHAHAHAHA!! [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/poke.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Just kidding guys (well, they do, but...) - this post has been interesting.

In all honesty, there are many better amps out there than Marshall for similar prices - the Soldano HR series, MANY preamp/poweramp combos, the Mesa Mark series amps (the IV is unbelievable to me!!), and yes, even Line 6 products get better and better each day. I've never owned any of the "classic" Marshalls, but I've had a JCM900, DSL2000, and DSL401 (hated this one especially), and none of them were even remotely capable of achieving the sound I was looking for. The first really good sound I got (other than from Line 6, which I've decided to stick with now) was from a Soldano SP-77 preamp. Then I got a Yamaha/Soldano T50 & T100, which I still find to be one of the best deals out there.

Comment

Originally posted by Fretburner:
                            <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Lessee... the marshall amps I've opened up...

a JCM900 around a year ago (nicer than the TSLs, btw)
                            saw gut shots of a JCM2000 about a month back... and it sure doesn't look like chassis mounted preamp tubes, but I'm going by memory here.
                            a JCM800 100 watt one channel head modded by Voodoo Amps that I owned
                            a JCM800 50 watt channel switcher head that I owned
                            a '77 JMP fifty watt head I had

Enjoy your marshall if it works well and has the tone you want. There's enough evidence to suggest that they aren't the most reliable amps in the world, and that alone is plenty reason for me to run like hell. I'd trust my Vetta over a JCM2000 series every time.

Pete

Comment

My other guitar player just bought a DSL 100, and to be honest I think it sounds fantastic. I can't vouch for it's reliability, or durability, but it sure sounds good.

Personally, my holy grail is the Uberschall, but I don't have that kind of money to chuck around. I just bought myself a Blue Voodoo, and I really can't understand why some of you guys slam these things. I get a great sound out of it. Everyone that sees us play says my rig sounds the best out of everyone in the band. We have three guitar players (don't ask [img]graemlins/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] ), and one plays a 5150, and the other plays the DSL.
                              Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

Well I just found out that the thickness of the board on the Reiassue 800's are the same thickness as the early 80's model's and that the traces are just as good as well.

Derek

Comment

Working...
                                X