Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Marshall Players READ THIS

Originally posted by Fretburner:
    Also the pots in a Marshall tube head are not mounted to circuit boards, they are all mounted to the front of the chassis.

Maybe the solid state stuff has the pots mounted on the boards but I never looked or really care.

When was the last time you opened up a Tube Marshall head? [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">When was the last time YOU looked?? The JCM800's DID have the pots mounted to the board - the pots are mounted to the chassis with the nuts, and the pot is soldered to the board....this is what supports the board inside the chassis........ [img]graemlins/poke.gif[/img]

Comment

800s are cool.. [img]graemlins/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
      "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
      Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

can anyone sell me a 800?????

i want one sooooo baddddd

Comment

Originally posted by cevtv:
          </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Fretburner:
          Also the pots in a Marshall tube head are not mounted to circuit boards, they are all mounted to the front of the chassis.

Maybe the solid state stuff has the pots mounted on the boards but I never looked or really care.

When was the last time you opened up a Tube Marshall head? [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]
          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">When was the last time YOU looked?? The JCM800's DID have the pots mounted to the board - the pots are mounted to the chassis with the nuts, and the pot is soldered to the board....this is what supports the board inside the chassis........ [img]graemlins/poke.gif[/img] </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">AHHHHHHHH Hello???? What JCM 800 are you looking at? hahahahaha Some dreamed up version or something? Look good and tell everyone here that the pots are soldered to the board! [img]graemlins/evilimages/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

jcm 800 panel controls

Comment

The later JCM 800s HAD PCB mounted controls and input jacks. Hence the change to horizontal mounted input jacks. The pic you have shown is one of the early 80s units.

In the mid 80s, they eventually went to PCB mounted controls (Hence the Horizontal input jacks), changed power supply design in the 2204 (the 2203 followed later),which increased noise and changing the tone to a noticeably thinner sound and went to EL34 tubes.

The later dual channel 800s 2210 (100watt) 2205 (50 watt) had a bit more gain somewhat, (diode induced), but retain the bogus power supply design and the clean channel crosstalked a lot with the gain channel. Those amps didn't sound as good as the older single channel ones at high volumes at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Cleveland Metal:
              In the mid 80s, they eventually went to PCB mounted controls (Hence the Horizontal input jacks),
              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Thank you. [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Comment

AHHHHHHHH Hello???? What JCM 800 are you looking at? hahahahaha Some dreamed up version or something? Look good and tell everyone here that the pots are soldered to the board! [img]graemlins/evilimages/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

jcm 800 panel controls
                <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">OK, Mr. Know-It-All.........Hmmm, these sure look board mounted to me....... [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]

Comment

okay! You got me! [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] (that was a stupid design)

Comment

Yes it was. Sadly, it was the beginning of the end for the beloved Marshall. Sniff... sniff...

[img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

Comment

Originally posted by Fretburner:
                      okay! You got me! [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] (that was a stupid design)
                      <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">[img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Comment

cool... [img]graemlins/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

I'm high.. [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img]
                        "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                        Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

My 2 cents on the Marshall thing is this: I know several guys that work in cover bands that are on stage, tubes fired up for a total of about 3 to 4 hours a night. The newer Marshall stuff definately gets affected by this, don't care who thinks differently. I have seen them go down in the middle of a gig.
                          The older stuff is a hell of a lot more bullet proof than the new, again dont care who thinks differently, I have seen it.
                          This is where the cheap thin boards and bad pieces come into play.
                          Thats why amps that are built to mil-spec i.e. Rivera, SLO etc. dont have these kind of problems when you are on stage for that length of time.
                          If you are on stage for 20-30 minutes once or twice a week AND your CAREFUL with your newer Marshall things should be just fine.
                          I wouldn't trade my 87' JCM for all the tea in China personally. I even like the tone the TSL has because I love the Marshall "flavor".
                          Now If I could just keep my hands off that damn Vetta combo I just bought(with the Vetta II software loaded) I might be able to play my Marshall or my Riv more lol.

Comment

I don't buy the whole mil-spec thing, sorry. There are TONS of amp manufacturer models that perform reliably night after night and don't break down that don't use mil-spec anything.

Considering that Marshall is one of the largest amp manufacturers in the world with probably the most amps out there it's certainly more likely that you would hear about a few breaking down here and there. A company like Rivera sells a fraction of the amps that Marshall does so if they had one amp that broke down that could be more statisitcally significant than the few Marshalls that broke down.

I do think Marshall cuts corners to save money but I would not hesitate to buy either a TSL or DSL if I wanted one because of a few breaking down here and there considering how many are working completely fine.

Comment

Hey, I seriously love my modded 1987XL but I still need that head tearing scooped mids sound to cover the some of the today's metal.

I just ordered a 3 Channel Dual Rectifier. I'll probably hate it being a Marshall dude...Any input from you guys? Do you think I'll like it? Cleve what's your thoughts? If I remember right you hate them right? [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

I've had Boogie gear in the past, Studio pre-amp, Quad, pre-amp and a MK IV but those are different the Recs.

Let me know what your experiences were or are with the Rectifiers.

Thanks!

Comment

For the DSL, my buddy bought one last year and is on his 3rd replacement from guitar center. He bought the floor model and "it" died before they got him a new unit, hehe... We thought it a fluke, but now another one died and he's had troubles with the 3rd. I'm not impressed.

As for the MESA, they're built solid and quite nicely. I just can't get a sound I like from them but many other people do. For me, they seem to be a spongier more "flubby" sound than the crisper marshall type of attack. I hear lotsa guys playing them and sound good, I just don't haha...

Unfortunately, that's why I ended up where I'm at...

Comment

Working...
                                X