Blown output tube

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blown output tube

Hypothetically - If there was a fender twin amp (the new pro tube series), which had El34's placed into it instead of the 6L6s it was meant to have, and these El34s blew within two seconds and made a funny burning smell, what would happen?
    output transformer or something [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img] or the HT fuse or whatever.
    cheers
    john

Re: Blown output tube

If you smell smoke it sure isn't the fuse. Don't tell me you just dropped EL34's into an amp that was biased for 6L6's. If you did bad things happened. If your lucky it wasn't the transformer. Time to take it to a tech.
    We must!
    We must!
    We must increase the bust!
    The bigger the better!
    The tighter the sweater!
    The boys are counting on us!

Comment

that is the thrust of things yes. Im pretty much a tube rookie, so please forgive my incredible ignorance, but the EL34s were given to me with the amp by the shop that sold me it, as 'replacement tubes when the current ones are on their way out'. when the popping and crackling started i put them in, and then realised something must be wrong when they blew. Now i know about EL34s and everything, too late [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

Comment

The place you bought it from gave you those as replacements? If that's the case they should be buying you a new amp. They didn't say "use these but bring it in to be re-biased correctly"? Not your fault at all if thats what they did.
        We must!
        We must!
        The bigger the better!
        The tighter the sweater!

Comment

no, i just said "can I have some spare tubes for it" and they gave me the EL34s. I'm taking it back there on saturday for their tech to look at it, but I sure as hell do not intend to pay 200 for a new transformer or something.

Comment

They still should have given you the correct tubes. I would find a new shop. If they don't know how to give a customer the correct tubes what kind of work quality can they possibly have? Where is this shop so I know not to go there?
            We must!
            We must!
            The bigger the better!
            The tighter the sweater!

Comment

I'm assuming you don't live in england, so luckily, you won't ever have to go there [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] . Thanks for all your help by the way, much appreciated.
              cheers
              john

Comment

That would be correct. Best of luck with your amp. It does sound like the dealer is at fault to me though. If the A-holes sell you spare tubes they should damn well sell you the right ones. The work for changing 6L6 tubes so it can use EL34's is a minor surgery. But as you have discovered quiet necessary before swapping them out. I still can't believe they did that. It's almost making Musician's Fiend look pretty good. lol
                We must!
                We must!
                The bigger the better!
                The tighter the sweater!

Comment

Working...
                X