No announcement yet.

Is there a favorite amp for forumites?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Is there a favorite amp for forumites?

Originally posted by jgcable:
    I agree with Reb 100%. The RocPro1000 is the best sounding cheapest head ever made. [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I will absolutely third that! Not only that but talk about reliable! I have been using a roc-pro 1000 live for the last 4 years and I have never had a problem with it,unlike my 5150 and many Marshalls over the years which just seem to love letting you get about 2-3 songs into your set then blowing up.Mines been through hell,drinks spilled on it,riots on stage knocking it off-stage ( I have pics somewhere of this madness [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] ),evil van rides to gigs,loading it in the rain ,etc etc...
    Great mids and a decent bottom end for the price,good damn head there.

Comment

John ...I must come over and we'll have to jerk off all over our Ubers and VHTs to impress a few guys again ...I suppose. [img]graemlins/eyes.gif[/img]

Let me know when ...I'll do it!!!! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Did I mention that my Uber rules!!!
      "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
      Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

just say no!! to man goo and amps!!!
        1+2 = McGuirk, 2+4 = She's hot, 6-4 = Happy McGuirk

Comment

i don't post clips cause you can go to my website and download whole songs.

i used the pod 2.0 to do all the guitars. on the "pleasure of exorcism" i had the drive boost on and it didn't come out as good as the demo ver. of "angel sin" which was with the drive boost off. but i don't go for that nu-gay sound, so most of you probably won't like either one.

the full length album was done with real drums mic'd and the demo was done with V-drums. everything was recorded at my house on the aardvark q10, sonar, a focusright compressor (penta), and the pod.
          ~JW
          Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

Well, pete, call me small and insecure, that's fine, whatever. Nice and big of you to say. Thanks!

I've never directly told someone "their" amp they just bought sucks. I basically just flame DSP stuff and new Marshall products and for good reason.

Even when someone has said they just bought one, I never broke out and said its technology sucks or is badly made etc. Although I would quickly tell a person contemplating buying one that it sucks prior to the purchase...

Comment

Originally posted by Cleveland Metal:
              Well, pete, call me small and insecure, that's fine, whatever. Nice and big of you to say. Thanks!

I've never directly told someone "their" amp they just bought sucks. I basically just flame DSP stuff and new Marshall products and for good reason.

Even when someone has said they just bought one, I never broke out and said its technology sucks or is badly made etc. Although I would quickly tell a person contemplating buying one that it sucks prior to the purchase...
              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I was only replying to your thing about posting clips, Cleve. If you see yourself in anything else I wrote, that can't be my fault, can it?

Pete

Comment

I don't build amps , fuck with tubes ...or give a flyin' fuck about schematics nor do I really give a fuck...but I do know good tone ...period.

I've own just about every mass manufactured amp under the sun ...That's not bragging ...it's just that I was in search for the holy Grail of tone ...so I had the means to buy everything and I mean everthing...and that's what I did ...

John had many amps as well ...(especially Marshalls) ..John and I go back for 25 years doin' this in search of tone thing...some people on this forum is not even that old [img]graemlins/eyes.gif[/img]

It is not our intention to crucify people with PODs or whatever ...but we feel that it may be quite helpfull and usefull to some who may be looking to buy a "good" quality tube amp ...or to assist in choosing a certain amp that best fits that player's needs..and musical style..

It is my own personal conclusion that ALL new Marshalls sound like complete shit ...and being the Bill Z Bub ...it's my place to say so..that's what I do.

It's my very experienced and dedicated opinion ....there is nothing wrong in expressing this...

If you buy a POD / New Marshall and it works for you and inspires you to play your best ...then more power to you ...you got you a good amp for yourself.

Glen Drover is one of my personal favorite song writers / players and riff generators ...but I would never own his set up....get my point..

John nor I have ever personaly attacked someone for buying an amp that we disliked ...but when someone ask for my opinion ...I am more than happy to give it ....like it or not

If you don't want to know what I think ...please don't ask... [img]graemlins/nono.gif[/img]

So far in my experience of playing and owning Soldano , Mesa , every Marshall known to man , Lee Jackson , Randall , Legend , 5150s , Ampeg and so on .....my Uber absolutely leaves them all far behind in the dust...so far behind they are but mere dots in my rear-view mirror...for my need ...which is balls to the wall metal

Do you relalize how much $$$$$$ it took me to know this ...you just have know clue.. [img]graemlins/refuse.gif[/img]

Just sharing what we (John and I) truly know....if that offends anyone , this is not our intention....but we know what we know and there is no changing cold hard , boldface facts...unless we just fuckin lie or don'r bother answering questions..But I don't belive in Rose colored or sugar coated anything..not about Amps , Broads , Myself .....not a damn thing.

Peace

I love yous [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Originally posted by horns666:

Just sharing what we (John and I) truly know....if that offends anyone , this is not our intention....but we know what we know and there is no changing cold hard , boldface facts...unless we just fuckin lie or don'r bother answering questions..But I don't belive in Rose colored or sugar coated anything..not about Amps , Broads , Myself .....not a damn thing.

Peace

I love yous [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
                  <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">There's a difference between 'what you know' and 'boldface facts' and opinions, right?

I bought an EL84 powered Mesa fifty caliber from a guy who didn't like it because it didn't have a tight enough bottom. He picked up a 6L6 one, and loved it. I thought the 6L6 ones sounded hollow and too crispy, but he liked it better. The 84s had a better crunch to my ear, and more gain when cranked.

Everyone prefers different things in their tones. Your Uber may be the king amp for metal, but if someone is playing country, it would probably disapoint em.

I played some 80s covers, and my VHT 50/CL was waaaayyyy too aggresive and tight for it. But if I was playing more modern stuff, the VHT would have kicked ass. I had a JMP fifty watt Marshall that sounded great for 70s and 80s rock with a TS9 in the front end, but for modern stuff it just wouldn't cut it.

My opinion? play every single amp with the features you want that you can get ahold of and make your decision based on your needs and pocketbook. It's a good idea to ask opinions so people can make you aware of possible pitfalls with some gear, but too many people just blindly follow internet advice and never check stuff out for themselves. Someone else may really dig that Uber, or may even prefer a VHT to it, or a Diezel, or a Roccaforte, or whatever.

For the record - a friend of mine has an Uber, and I can't wait to check it out. I've heard nothing but good things about Bogners, and loved the Ecstacy I got to check out. Bogner makes great stuff.

Pete

Comment

Originally posted by Cleveland Metal:
                    Can I figure you're not speaking to me about not posting clips. Although I haven't posted clips of me masturbating alone like some have, I havve done so with the band and gotten a couple pages of positive comments on what I felt was basically mediocre recording. Which is more than most any clips gets.

Bear in mind, tube amp nuance is something a guitar player feels more than anything and mostly in a live setting is where people notice it. The DSP stuff often goes to tape better in primitive settings unless you have a serious recording technician and the equipment to capture it properly.

I may have to get off my arse and see about some solo crap though....
                    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Post more if you want... I remember what you and Bill posted. You weren't included in my 'people who don't post clips' club, and it goes further than just the JCF.

Tone is so subjective stuff that didn't work for me worked great for others. Besides reliability issues, I've been trying to keep quiet regarding amps I had that underwhelmed me. I figure I have enough to do with learning more on guitar and improving my playing than flaming gear choices.

It makes folks look insecure and small when they take shots at other people for amp choices... but hey, whatever makes you feel better about yourself.

Pete

Comment

Pete ...absolutely ...the only thing I could ever possibly offer is my honest opinion on something...that's about it.

I know excatly what you're saying about 6l6s...John and two other buddies of mine own/ed a Marshall 9200 Monoblocs ...I bought one right when it came out loaded with 5881s ...they rapidly switched them to EL34 units..It was unanimous mine sounded best..probably for that reason I'm sure..girthier bottom end and less midrange...!!! [img]graemlins/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

Once I bought two brand new Ampeg Lee Jackson VL-100s ....I mean when they came out who could resist all those bells and whisltes..The big lit up logo ...a friggin' key ..like your going to start a car...the best usable reverb I've ever heard from any amp until this very day..tons of gain with a built-in attenuator....Zakk Wylde was posing with them for a short lived endorsement...That middle 5 way contour control ruled...not a bad amp for the time and one that hardly ever gets mentioned often here surprisingly...

Well one was loaded with EL34s and one was loaded 6550s . I really didn't know too much about tubes at that time and noticed I couldn't really nail a cool tone with that head know matter how much tweakin' I did. Then I discovered the one that I wasn't satisfied with was loaded with the EL34s and the low end was definitely a major factor..

Yes of all the heads I've ever heard ...I love my Bogner most ..so far. I just run a G-Major in the loop and that's it...very nice ...and quiet..

Before the Bogner ...I wasn't even thinking of buying another head [img]graemlins/eyes.gif[/img] ...I was still quite content with my Marshall rack..I still got it ...and like it ...it has a awesome lead tone!!! [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

But I don't want to tote it around (my back [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img] )....as a matter of fact I may even sell the damn thing and get me another Uber to run....in stereo...of course [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Because I'm retarded... [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

And I doubt the Uber would be worth a damn for country [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] ..I wouldn't know but people say I got a great clean tone (I don't play clean).. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

If you see yourself in anything else I wrote, that can't be my fault, can it?
                        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Being Mr. Passive aggressive ehh? Haha, Why don't you just come out and say what you mean...

Comment

after last night i have to agree with cleve about the line 6 stuff. it sounds like 98% there but there's some weird high end breakup or clipping going on. it's definitely leaps and bounds beyond a standard SS amp though.
                          my friend who has zero knowledge about amps agreed immediately once i pointed it out. his comment was "yeah you're right, i knew there was something funny about it but just couldn't put my finger on it."
                          Eric's XXX pretty much crushed it tonally. Jeff's DSL crushed the XXX i thought. He sounded best of the night to me.

Comment

Im a Marshall fan here, i own a new JCM2000 DSL401, mainly down to cost, and space issues (ie, i cant afford, or have space to keep, an uber or old JCM800 head+cab)

it gives me a sound i love, it has enough gain for me, if i need more i can alway plug in a pedal (i use a Zoom tri-metal for really high gain stuff) may not be everyones favourate amp, but it does me fine
                            i also have a V-amp2, bt imho it comes nowhere near my marshall, some of this is probably psychological (ie, i feel cooler with a tube amp behind me and not a modeller plugged into the pa) and some is down to the fact it dosent have the 'mojo' my marshall does, plus the fact i only really use the marshall patches on the thing...

David

Comment

in those pics you posted of your gig..that looks like a flextone II HD. I have a line 6 flextone II plus...and I agree..they are close, but no cigar. the newer HD147 and Vetta though. Well, I haven't heard the Vetta..but assuming its as good as the HD 147 I had a chance to hear in the Vegas guitar center. I would gladly take one of those puppies home.

other than that it's 5150 and Engl products for me. they rule. I'm weary of anything that talks of having "british" style tone. Bogner's and Egnater, Marshall..all claim that...and I don't like how the Egnater or the marshall sound...it sounds very midranged voiced and...well...wussy. like a skinny british asshole. I like..low end clarity and high end definition.

I've never heard an uberschall or ecstacy, but...I've heard the term "british tone" and Bogner used in teh same sentence too many times to bother giving them a serious look anytime soon.

Comment

that's not my stuff, i'm playing bass with an SWR350 that's hidden in the pics. both rudy and jeff used a flextone 2, eric the guy closest to the camera with the warrior and a different guy named jeff used the XXX and DSL respectively. the band that preceeded us used a flextone 2 also.
                                for vetta clips go to www.kronow.com that guys loves his vetta.

Originally posted by the_drip:
                                in those pics you posted of your gig..that looks like a flextone II HD. I have a line 6 flextone II plus...and I agree..they are close, but no cigar. the newer HD147 and Vetta though. Well, I haven't heard the Vetta..but assuming its as good as the HD 147 I had a chance to hear in the Vegas guitar center. I would gladly take one of those puppies home.

other than that it's 5150 and Engl products for me. they rule. I'm weary of anything that talks of having "british" style tone. Bogner's and Egnater, Marshall..all claim that...and I don't like how the Egnater or the marshall sound...it sounds very midranged voiced and...well...wussy. like a skinny british asshole. I like..low end clarity and high end definition.

I've never heard an uberschall or ecstacy, but...I've heard the term "british tone" and Bogner used in teh same sentence too many times to bother giving them a serious look anytime soon.
                                <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">

Comment

Working...
                                X