EL34 STR 447, STR 442?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EL34 STR 447, STR 442?

Which is the difference between a EL-34 STR 447, EL-34 STR 442 or the NOS EL-34 STR 450?

Also, I play something like metallica in the old days (Master, And justice..., etc) I am planning to buy a Dual Rectifier ¿Will be much better if I swap the 6L6 for EL-34? (that's why I am interested in knowing the difference between those EL-34 tubes)

Another question, I already have a Marshall TSL100 Head ¿will be a waste buying another high gain amp like the dual rectifier?

Thanks

[ December 27, 2003, 04:06 PM: Message edited by: angst ]

Re: EL34 STR 447, STR 442?

If someone know something please post...

Thanks

Comment

Comment

I don't know the differences between those EL34 types. But all should work in your amp since all belong to the same type of tubes.

There isn't a better or worser between 6L6 or EL34. Both are different tubes and it depends on your personal taste which is better. That's something you should discover yourself (yeah probably not what you want to hear, sorry [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] )

I don't think it's a waste to buy 2 high gain amps. A dual rectifier is very different to a TSL. So if you like both amp there isn't a reason to not own both. You definitely should test the DR before buying and see if it suits your needs and taste.

Hope this helps a bit.

Flo
        http://www.myspace.com/drasticviolence

Thrash/Death-Metal from Germany

Comment

Forgot something:
          See Pete's excellent post about different tubes on the top of the page concerning EL34 vs. 6L6
          http://www.jcfonline.com/ubb/noncgi/...;f=12;t=000701

Flo
          http://www.myspace.com/drasticviolence

Thrash/Death-Metal from Germany

Comment

Thanks

The problem is that I can test the Dual REctifier cause' I live in Chile, and I will import it from the US.

And the problems about tubes is that I don't trust much in Chilean Repair Services, or electricians... [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

So I was asking because if a decide for de EL-34, I will ask to change the tubes in the same store, before getting to chile.

But in your opinion, for the old thrash, Metallica Master of puppets or so, which tube will give me that sound?

Well at least, the Dual Rectifier doesn't need rebiasing, so I will try and buy both tubes...

Thanks

Comment

Also, I need if there is a good tube store, that can send the tubus to chile....

Comment

And, I can't understand some english amp-terms (I'm chilean), so what on hell is the famous bottom end, that the Dual Rectifier (and most of the mesas I think) has?

Comment

The STR 442's are mesa tubes. They are brown base El34's, same as Svetlana's only silkscreened with Mesa's logo. They are a matched set, that much I do know. The others are Mesa tubes as well I believe, but I have not seen them to know if they're EL34's.

You can purchase tubes from places like the Tubestore and have them shipped internationally.

Tubestore

Comment

I think one set is Svetlana's, and the others, are Chinese.

Comment

Working...
                    X