Recommend me a microphone.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Recommend me a microphone.

Wow, thanks for that great post! [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img] I forgot to mention my sound card... it's an M-Audio Audiophile 2496:

http://m-audio.com/index.php?do=prod...3fa8b83343bfb8

Yes, I'm doing computer recording. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] I used to do very primitive direct recording using my GT-6 straight into my old Sound Blaster card with adequate results, but I want my amp's tone. I'll still use my GT-6 in the effects loop for effects, but no longer for distortions.

Do you need me to provide any more info about the stuff I have? I'll definitely have to pick up the stands and cables when I buy the SM57 and C1.

Comment

No the info should be enough. You have a quite decent recording card so there should be no problems.
      No if you have bought the cables and stands you should have everything to get started.
      Since your mixer doesn't have direct out's you need to go from the main output to the line in of the soundcard. Well maybe you can go out on the aux sends with one channel. Don't know since i too have a Behringer mixer but i have the MX2004A which is the big brother of yours and it has direct outs. But i don't use it anymore, not decent enough quality [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
      Maybe next to be bought can be a compressor. It's better to compress the signal one time before hitting the converters. But that's of course additional and not required.
      With recording gear it's just like guitar gear, you never have enough [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] There is always something you want.

If there are other questions feel free to ask and i will try to answer it as much as i can. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Flo
      http://www.myspace.com/drasticviolence

Thrash/Death-Metal from Germany

Comment

Yes i am with NEK. Modern Recording Techniques is a awesome book and definitely worth the money and time. It explaines all the techniques and gear you find in recording situations.

Flo
        http://www.myspace.com/drasticviolence

Thrash/Death-Metal from Germany

Comment

Wow, there's going to be a bit of homework for me to do before doing some recording. This is all very useful information. I'll also need to save a little bit more money and do some price-hunting on Ebay or something for the equipment and ESPECIALLY those two books.

This is probably my favorite thread right now. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Thanks again!

Comment

I have couple of pieces of advice:

BUY THIS BOOK: Modern Recording Techniques (Fifth Edition)($40)
            by David Miles Huber
            This book is very well writen and I think that it will help you a lot with your recording.
            I also high suggest: Basic Microphones ($10)
            by Paul White
            If you only want to learn about microphones then you will probably only need the Basic Microphones book, but I really do suggest both.

As for XLR cables, I also highly suggest Monster Cables.
            Monster Cable Studio Pro 1000 Microphone Cable
            It's silly to spend $300 - $400 on microphones in order to to have your signal degraded by a crappy cable.

Nick

Comment

NOP you need booms for those stands to get the right angle on the dangle.
              Guys correct me if I'm wrong..I thought 58's were omnidirectional with enhanced mids for vocals where as 57's were unidirectional with a flatter response.58's are definately better for live vocals. I have had to use 57's for vocals in a small practice space with the band to help cut down on feedback and to help restrict our amps and drummer from being picked up by the pa.
              Since you said for recording I agree with the responses.One or two 57's and a good condenser as they suggested.

Comment

SM58 is cardioid like sm57,they have almost the same capsule.

Comment

Working...
                X