Peavey and Lee Jackson

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peavey and Lee Jackson

Hey guys. I've been thinking recently of buying a new head. I've been very interested in the Peavey 5150, this is because i've heard Michael Angelo use one live and a friend of mine has one too and i think they sound great. I've also heard good things about Lee Jackson heads. What's your view on Lee Jackson? Does any one have any sound clips of these heads? Thanks for reading this.
    93 USA Soloist EDS
    USA HT6 Juggernaut
    Charvel DK24FR

Re: Peavey and Lee Jackson

They are fairly different types of amps, what style of music are you interested in doing with it?

Comment

This topic is seems to be a good topic for me to post in, I have owned both, and still own one. I still have my Metaltronix M-1000, and sold my 5150 about 6 months ago. As CM said, they are different, and it really does depend on your style. The 5150 had enough gain to last for days, but since the M-1000 is modeled after a modded JCM800, it doesn't come close in gain. But, with a nice preamp, the Metaltronix will out do a 5150 any day; sound wise, quality wise, IMO. The power soak on almost all of Lee's amps comes in very handy for something like a VH tone. Now, if your talking about some of the other amps Lee Jackson has made/designed, then all I can really inform you on is the Ampeg VL series. These amp's are really killer. They have alot more gain then the Metaltronix, but with all the cool features and good craftsmanship. I think that a VL series would also put a 5150 to rest, and are alot better for metal (Megadeth, Metallica, RacerX, ect.). Lee Jackson made/designed some really killer stuff, and I personally am a big fan of his stuff because most of it is quality work (execpt realy the Crate Stealth [img]graemlins/eyes.gif[/img] ). I wish I could tell you more about the XLS and XLA seires heads, but since thy are pretty uncommon, I haven't got a chance to try one. Good luck! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

Mainly thrash and death metal. But i do play a bit of blues and neo classical stuff. So it would need to be pretty diverse. Doesn't really need an amazingly good sounding clean channel.
        93 USA Soloist EDS
        USA HT6 Juggernaut
        Charvel DK24FR

Comment

If those are the amps you are basically deciding between, I'd sorta say the 5150 for the thrash and death, and then the Lee jackson stuff for the Neo Classical and somewhat blues i guess.

Hmmm... With such diverse styles like that, you sir, may be headed off to rackland [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
          X