Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DSL Head or Vintage Marshall.....or should i go for engl??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DSL Head or Vintage Marshall.....or should i go for engl??

Originally posted by Dave:
    or the channels share the same eq so one suffers for the sake of the other.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">yeah, thats right. i believe that will be the problem with the engl blackmore. 4 channel amp, 1 EQ? COME ON, ENGL! i demoed the savage and it was great, the possibilities are endless, and almost every switch is footswitchable AND can be controlled via MIDI. but it's to expensive....
    as far as i know, the black more is similar to the savage, but with less switches and only one EQ which is shit.

i almost forgot it: i A/B'ed some digtal stuff to the mesa rectifier. beside the the thing that the mesa does not even come close to my expectations ( i really thought it would be the ultimate solution for heavy sounds, but there was this annoying buzz going on), the digital stuff had no balls. i mean, come on, i tweaked the shit out of the hd147 and played it on pretty high volumes but the mesa - with every knob on 12 o'clock - just blew it against the wall in terms of loudness and the ability to cut. i just dont get it, a 300 watt digital amp on about 6 compared to a 50 watt all tube head on 5 and it was blown away?! sure, the hd was REALLY loud, but it just did not FEEL loud. it was like my ears said TURN DOWN and my stomach asked "Is that all??" [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

greets
    fragle

Re: DSL Head or Vintage Marshall.....or should i go for engl??

Engl Powerball, or Chucks SLO...

I'd rather see ya with a Line 6 than Marshall...

Comment

yeah just go out and get a flextone II HD and call it a day.

or a FENDER ROC PRO!!!!!!!!!!! whooooohoooooo! (i got to stop advertizing this thing)
      Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

Man, if I had that kind of money, I'd be ALL OVER a Soldano! Go for Chuck's!!

Comment

Based on the tones you mentioned (Metallica's MOP & AJFA) you really should check out a Mesa MkIV... it'll get you closer to those tones than any other amp mentioned here so far.

Comment

I agree with John,Engl Powerball!

Comment

yeah but it'l take you 2 years to dail it in.

great head though, just too many options. way too versitile for me.
              Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

that's the deal,great tone and versatility! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

mark4: WAY to expensive...i saw a little 1*12 combo mark 4 recently...for 3100€. 1*12. are those guys CRAZY?!?!?!?!

powerball: mmmhhhh....really the maximum i can afford, actually i would have to save some more money to afford it. maybe i'll drive to the engl factory...its not that far away from where i live

soldano: never played the real deal, but the digital modeled soldanos were not THAT great. maybe the real deal is way better, but the digital soldano was not worth that amount of money. fuck, i want to play some high class stuff, but none of those fucked up stores around here have some in stock. [img]images/icons/mad.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/mad.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/images/icons/mad.gif[/img]

fragle

Comment

I would be all over an Engl Powerball or Savage if I could afford one. All of the sound clips are awesome! [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
                    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6M4lm9Ahz0

Comment

Germany, how about Koch, they're based in the Netherlands, or Hughes Kettner as alternative options. Otherwise, Engl..all the clips I've heard sound good.

Comment

DSL Head or Vintage Marshall.....or should i go for engl??

hi!

i was in a shop today and there was one of the salesman demoing various amps. he played some peavey stuff i dont remember and then switched to marshalls. well, actually i A/B'ed the AVT150 and a DSL100. lets make it fast: AVT=crap DSL=i cannot say i was blown away, but it was really cool...considering that the DSL is in my price range i WAS blown away [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

even though the amp has some disadvantages ( only 2 channels; you are not able to footswitch the tone shift, deep switch, ...) ; it seems that this is nothing some pedal equalizer and a booster cannot fix) i'm thinking about buying it.
                        let's face it: i'm able to spend max. 1200€ which is about $1500 i believe. at the moment i'm thinking about the peavey XXX´, the engl blackmore signature, the DSL100 or a marshall jcm 800 on ebay (which is not as easy as it seems, because most of the early jcm800
                        are modded and i HATE modding early marshalls...it seems that afterwards they sound worse than before).
                        i never played the engl or the peavey.....maybe i should do [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] as i said, the marshalls are hard to get, and the DSL was pretty cool. it would be great if anyone can give me some advice.

basically, i'm looking for a nice clean (think most of the dream theater clean stuff) sound - a footswitchable gain boost for ac/dc - crunch would be great! - and some serious metal distortion. i play rythm most of the time (think master of puppets mixed with and justice for all...justice with more mids and master with less bass) which i can boost or whatever to play some lead stuff (i absolutely LOVE that master of puppets boogie mk2 c+ lead tone).....a pity that it's almost impossible to get all this for 1500bucks [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

greets
                        fragle

Comment

I will give you the easiest solution of them all. Go buy Chuckracers Soldano. Done bro.. Check the classifieds section!!

Comment

You need to try the others first, but I can tell you the XXX has 3 usable channels. This will allow you get to different dirty channels with their own eq as well as a clean with its own eq.

So there you go, you can change from a scooped mid dirty to a mid boost dirty with one step. I always find tube amps have either a crunch channel that sounds like ass, or the channels share the same eq so one suffers for the sake of the other.
                            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6M4lm9Ahz0

Comment

well, i never saw a koch amp or even heard about them [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] hughes & kettner 's tube stuff is pretty cool, but even the duotone is way more pricey than the engl savage. the puretone is a cool amp, but not an amp that suits me. more the classic rock and blues type of an amplifier. HK builts some digital stuff in my pricerange (zenamp), but its digital.... [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

up to now i have to check the following amps
                              powerball
                              XXX

as i said, the savage was great, but pricey, the marshall was pretty cool beside the only one-EQ thing, the zenamp was alright at low volumes (didnt check it at high volumes).

what about the 5150 II ? i've heard the clean channel sucks, but the distortion is really heavy, right? afaik, arch enemy usw 5150 amps and they have a pretty cool sound.

ah yeah, before i forget it: the other peavy amp the guy in the store demoed was the XXL. i have to admit that its a pretty cool amp for solid state. sure, A/B'ed to the real deals (lets say compare the xxl in british mode to some marshall stuff) it is just another level, but for the price and for solid state it's great! and to be honest, it kicked the marshall AVT's ass!!! the peavy was heavy, the avt was like a women screaming, especially when the mid shift was engaged...uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuhhhhhh, tonal torture [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

fragle

Comment

Working...
                              X