Crate Blue VooDoo or Peavey XXX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crate Blue VooDoo or Peavey XXX

I'm about to come into a bit of money and I am debating on which one of these would be the better amp. Any opinions? I really like the tones of the Blue VooDoo (100W), but the XXX seems like you could have MANY more tones available to expirement with. Any suggestions? Help a brutha out. Thanks
    I live on the edge of danger facing life and death every single day.....then I leave her at home and go disarm bombs.

Re: Crate Blue VooDoo or Peavey XXX

Better amp for what??

Comment

I have played both of these thru cabs with 4 Celestion V30s, and my opinion is the Blue Voodoo has a bit more rounded sound, and has what I would call loud gain, great for heavy metal, but maybe just a touch less for death and speed metal, the reverb was very nice. Now the XXX was more to my liking, had a nice high gain sound, I liked both the Ultra and Crunch channels, it did old metallica and slayer quite well and Testament, it has a more high crunch than the Voodoo. The XXX I played thru didn`t have Reverb, but I beleive the new ones do [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] If I had to choose between the 2 as per my playing style, I would go with the XXX, but the Voodoo was very nicely rounded sounding, so unless you play extreme metal, the Voodoo will fit the bill nicely, had a touch smoother-rounded style. I never use a Clean channel for anything [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] Jack.

Comment

I have been using Blue Voodoo's for 3 years and am very pleased with the range of tones that can be covered. An EQ and some processing make them very good sounding amps on par with more expensive amps.

Ric

Comment

I tried out both before I ultimately bought the Blue Voodoo. The XXX definitely sounded a little more high endy. In the end, it came down to price. I always liked the Blue Voodoo, and I got it significantly cheaper than the Peavey.

By the way, I play some pretty heavy stuff on it, and it sounds great. I can get a killer Slayer tone too.
          Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

Ok....in response to JG's question, I am looking for a more vintage Marshall 80's tone (without all of the effects), Along the lines of AC/DC, VH, Dokken, Maiden, Def Leppard and such. Hope that helps bring it more into perspective. I'd like to just plug in and play and try to get a nice tone directly from the amp itself, as I feel that alot of the pedals out there rob an amplifier of its natural tone.
            I live on the edge of danger facing life and death every single day.....then I leave her at home and go disarm bombs.

Comment

Bombtek; Listen to Ranallies clips here.

http://www.jcfonline.com/ubb/noncgi/...2;t=001416;p=2

Nails some 80's tone quite well.
              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6M4lm9Ahz0

Comment

The Voodoo will be perfect for you then,it is a really great amp, and doesn`t get the respect it deserves. Jack.

Comment

both good amps, but jg's question is very relevant in this case boths amps are targeted at a different markets and are different beasts. my first choice would be XXX but i would not turn down a blue voodoo. i'd own them both if i could. i haven't had the opportunity but i'll bet a voodoo would be crushing with the right eq.
                  1+2 = McGuirk, 2+4 = She's hot, 6-4 = Happy McGuirk

Comment

I agree, a BV60 or a BV120 will do it for you. Just curious though.. if you like Marshall tone than why aren't you looking at a Marshall?

Comment

It is a cash on hand factor......not willing to finance for the amp, I don't want payments. Besides if I can get that tone from somewhere else for ALOT less money (have you seen what a JCM800 goes for on the bay), then that is what I'll go for.

Comment

I think the BV's get a bad rap as far as tone is concerned....I've heard some suprisingly good clips of them actually.

On the other hand I do feel that the XXX is EXTREMELY versatile in the tones that it can achieve due to it being able to accept either EL34 or 6L6 power tubes AND having an active EQ on two of it's 3 channels.

I was looking to get a TSL and was having trouble coming up wiht the cash...until the XXX came along and I haven't looked back.

In it's stock form the XXX is a good amp but with a re-bias and some good tubes it is now a GREAT amp IMO. I can get Marshall-like and Mesa-like tones out of this amp that are very convincing and cover ALL the ground in between those two very different amps.

Mind you, this amp will not sound like a Mesa or a Marshall but it will come fairly close IMO and with some external EQ'ing I could probably nail them.

Comment

Here are some nice amps to consider for the tone you want and not alot of bucks.I think you can find a Marshall if you look around. The vintage ones are expensive but there are plenty of JCM's around. The Carvin MTS3200 sounds VERY much like one of the good JCM's.
                          Tubes
                          Carvin MTS3200
                          Carvin X100B
                          Laney AOR
                          Sovtek MIG60H the H is important
                          Sovtek MIG100H the H is important

Solid State
                          Fender RocPro 1000
                          Randall RG100ES
                          Peavey XXL
                          Peavey Supreme
                          Line 6 Flextone HD
                          Marshall VS100 (8200)

Comment

Weirdly enough, my Blue Voodoo sounds almost identical to my buddy's Marshall DSL100. The only difference really is that the BV is a little warmer, and more rounded sounding.
                            Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

Yes, Warmer and more Rounded is exactly what I would say about the VooDoo compared to the DSL, you nailed that explanation, it has a Marshall tone, without the HISS!! Edited to add that the Peavey XXL 2x12 sounds fantastic, voiced similar to the Triple XXX, but in a Solid state form, the best sounding solid State high gain amp I have ever played thru!! Jack.

Comment

Working...
                              X