zakk wylde's tone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• zakk wylde's tone

I just bought his DVD. Goddamn, his sound is awesome. Is that really a MArshall JCM 800? Or are his somehow modded? His tone on the DVD in particular...i find it way better than his tone on the album 1919 eternal.

Re: zakk wylde\'s tone

i mean...how can just a super overdrive and a jcm800 2203 do that... ...does he use somekind of eq or something.. i mean its tight and not nearly as much nasty mids. i love it. its amazing... could a ritchie blackmore head get that tone?.....i got a sd-1 already. would that work out?

Comment

... I put a soldano hot mod pre amp tube thingy in a old beat up jcm 800 and the thing sounded awesome best marshall I ever heard and just like that you could get a Zakk tone out of it no problem , the head sold in like a week after we put that in there [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] //Steve

Comment

Originally posted by PoisonGodmachine:
        i mean its tight and not nearly as much nasty mids.
        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Just remember, he uses 6550 power tubes - not EL34's. I do remember seeing a picture of his stage rig, the ZW edition Marshalls, but he had a custom M&G amp behind them that he was playing through........who knows.......... [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

Comment

Yepper ...A JCM 800 2203 + Boss SD1 + Dunlop Wah = Zakk Wylde territory..

Plus he uses a very heavy E string ...for his super squeals!!
          "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
          Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Didnt Lee Jackson mod those heads for him back in the day?I thought I heard somewhere that he uses the same lee modded heads that he has been using for years???

Comment

I never even use my SD1 any more. As far as I'm concerned it's pretty much useless.
              Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

Originally posted by parntz145:
                Didnt Lee Jackson mod those heads for him back in the day?I thought I heard somewhere that he uses the same lee modded heads that he has been using for years???
                <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I know he used to use Lee Jackson rack gear. This is what he supposedly uses now....... JCM800 2203ZW

Comment

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">He was endorsing metaltronixs early on and used a bradshaw rig. I asked him about his metaltronix stuff and he denied ever using it .. go figure. I have a Lee Jackson Modded marshall that gets a similar tone. it was stocked with 6550's and was high output but the tubes wouldn't saturate enough. I had it changed over to EL-34's and it screams ..... the combo of the lee jackson and emg's comes close
                  Don't worry - I'll smack her if it comes to that. You do not sell guitars to buy shoes. You skimp on food to buy shoes! ~Mrs Tekky 06-03-08~

Comment

He "endorses" the new marshall ZW reissue, like you know, stands in front of them for pictures etc.

He does play the M&G stuff. Which are basically properly built Marshall 800s. Maybe they are the key.

http://www.mandgamps.com/

Comment

I'd say the biggest factor in Zakk's sound has to do with the 6550 power amp tubes in the Marshall that is going to give you a very large(but clear) low end and mid range. He makes up for the less break up of the 6550's(as opposed to EL34's) by using the Boss SD-1 for more gain. I've also heard he uses high powered EV speakers which is going to also give a more "open" clear sound so you can drive the speakers harder with more low end,mids,etc. and gain. [img]graemlins/images/icons/wink.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Comment

He makes up for the less break up of the 6550's(as opposed to EL34's) by using the Boss SD-1 for more gain.
                        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I don't know about the boss sd-1 but I used to have to run a tube screamer with those tubes. While those were nice powerful tubes I never cared for the the sound I got
                        Don't worry - I'll smack her if it comes to that. You do not sell guitars to buy shoes. You skimp on food to buy shoes! ~Mrs Tekky 06-03-08~

Comment

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">yeah I think he did get em done cause there is no way you can get a jcm 800 sounding that good with just a overdrive pedal , in the studio you could do it cause less gain and more guitar tracks makes every thing sound fat and heavy but live the guy sounds so fucking heavy totally gained out that it's nuts , I mean he wears 6000 bucks even more worth of custom leather's so I would bet his amps are modded . //Steve

Comment

Originally posted by Cleveland Metal:
                            He "endorses" the new marshall ZW reissue, like you know, stands in front of them for pictures etc.

He does play the M&G stuff. Which are basically properly built Marshall 800s. Maybe they are the key.

http://www.mandgamps.com/
                            <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">that explanes it he does modd em lol m&g on the inside marshall on the outside lol maybe I should do that to my xxl head put it in a marshall jcm 800 then tell em I got this great tone from they're amps and go for a endorsment deal and mod em all [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] //Steve

Comment

hey even better put a pod xt in the back you wouldn't even have to modd it , but you could tell everyone you got it custom modded [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] //Steve

Comment

Working...
                              X