zakk wylde's tone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: zakk wylde\'s tone

plus i heard somewhere there is a fernandez sustainer buried under the neck pickup of some of those LPs. & i have to agree with either Lee Jackson modds or not a marshall at all.

Comment

Look what I found....

Comment

[img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]

BADASS!!

Comment

I have the JCM800 2203ZW and with a SD-1 and an EMG 81 in a LP you can get his sound easy or at least very very close to it. The settings I've found I like the best are:
          Pre 2.5
          Bass 10
          Mid 6
          Treb 5
          Pre 10
          Master to taste
          High Imput
          SD-1 Level and Drive about 2 o'clock and tone about 11 o'clock.
          Love it. I also have the Metaltronix and with a lot of tweaking I found something close to his sound with it.

Jason

Comment

Those chicks are hot!! [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by KMaynard:
              </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by parntz145:
              Didnt Lee Jackson mod those heads for him back in the day?I thought I heard somewhere that he uses the same lee modded heads that he has been using for years???
              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">He was endorsing metaltronixs early on and used a bradshaw rig. I asked him about his metaltronix stuff and he denied ever using it .. go figure. I have a Lee Jackson Modded marshall that gets a similar tone. it was stocked with 6550's and was high output but the tubes wouldn't saturate enough. I had it changed over to EL-34's and it screams ..... the combo of the lee jackson and emg's comes close </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Yeah, the same thing happened to me. I asked him about having Lee Jackson modded Marshalls and he looked at me like I was crazy and told me its in the fingers.

Anyways, his newer tone can easily be had with a stock 2203 and an sd-1.

Comment

Heres what zakk used last year!! (heads only) setup!! [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

<<<*>>>

Comment

emg's -> Dunlop wah -> dunlop rotovibe -> Boss SD-1 -> Boss CH-1 (i think, a boss chorus anyway) -> Marshall JCM800's with different tubes, they may also be modded slightly but im not sure

on stage he has a wall off ZW sig heads, but none of them are active, the working heads are backstage where a tech can get to them, and they are older JCM800 heads, not the ZW sig

David

Comment

Originally posted by horns666:
                    Yepper ...A JCM 800 2203 + Boss SD1 + Dunlop Wah = Zakk Wylde territory..

Plus he uses a very heavy E string ...for his super squeals!!
                    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">but does that make a huge diffence for the harmonics ? I can get the same harmonic/squeal he does with a 50 or a 52 . I guess the 60 or what ever he uses makes on top would sound fatter ? //Steve

Comment

Originally posted by j2379:
                      plus i heard somewhere there is a fernandez sustainer buried under the neck pickup of some of those LPs. & i have to agree with either Lee Jackson modds or not a marshall at all.
                      <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">when you push those marshalls real hot man and add a super overdrive in there they would sound like a metal beast forsure and Zakk always runns his volume super loud and thats him tone right there , I bet he never plays at bedroom level ever lol but his tone is mostly in his bending thats what adds life and style . //Steve

Comment

Originally posted by chris_olson:
                        </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by horns666:
                        It's not the SD1 guys ..that's the yellow overdrive ...Zakk uses the Boss DS1 ..the orange Distortion [img]graemlins/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
                        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Nope - he uses the Yellow SD-1 Super Overdrive. Every picture you see of his rig features it on his pedal board. </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">yeah he used that one then he uses this now

[img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

I think ZAKK's tone is a chemistry all of the shit he uses.
                          I know it is not just his marshalls [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]
                          he hit on a combination of things to get him that tone. not to mention that he is a great player as well and would sound f**kin great on a crate amp [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

Originally posted by randyvanmalmsteen:
                            he hit on a combination of things to get him that tone. not to mention that he is a great player as well and would sound f**kin great on a crate amp [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
                            <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">he'd sound good on a pignose amp [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] //Steve

Comment

Originally posted by Steve:
                              </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by randyvanmalmsteen:
                              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">he'd sound good on a pignose amp [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] //Steve </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I would not doubt it at all! [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

Originally posted by randyvanmalmsteen:
                                <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Exactly all the things combined he runs his amps loud the emgs the over drive the heavy gauge strings and most importntly his playing. That is how you get his tone but BTW it is his go get your own....
                                I keep the bible in a pool of blood
                                So that none of its lies can affect me

Comment

Working...
                                X