Adding a Sub-Woofer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adding a Sub-Woofer

I would like to know if there is a way to connect a sub-woofer to my setup.
    My setup is a 200 watt Traynor amp. running a marshall 4x12 cabinet.
    Stomp boxes are a Boss Metal Zone MT-2, and a Boss DD-3. Guitar is a Jackson DK2S, DiMarzio Tone zone in the Bridge.
    My problem is that my mids and highs sound great, but my bass wants to clip. And when I make any other adjustments the sound is to tinny.
    So I thought there might be a way to run my mids and highs through the 4x12, and the Bass through a sub. (But I'm not sure how to go about doing this, with the setup I have).
    Any takers???

Re: Adding a Sub-Woofer

Well i never heard of a frequency splitter (not sure if that's the right word, i mean those things used in hifi 3way speaker cabinets splitting the frequencies between all speakers) to be used in a guitar setup.
    And honestly you are the first person i hear that wants to add more bass to a sealed back 4x12 cab.
    I am also using this Marshall cab and i am really satisfied with the low end i get. Maybe the problem you are facing is coming from the amp ? If you have the means try your setup with a different amp and see if it still has not enough low end.

There aren't any subwoofers for guitar. The only choice in that direction would be to add a 15" speaker cab. Randall offers a 2x15" cab for the Warhead. Infos here:
    http://www.randallamplifiers.com/pro...abs/rs215w.asp

However i don't think you can split your signal between the 4x12 and 2x15. You need to run the whole signal through both cabs. But like i said i would first look somewhere else since there are tons of guitar players out there that get a nice low end from their marshalls without some bigger sized speakers.

Flo
    http://www.myspace.com/drasticviolence

Thrash/Death-Metal from Germany

Comment

rivera used to make a dedicated guitar subwoofer, but not anymore. occassionally they popup on ebay...if your bass flubs out, why don't you replace your speakers? i hate flabby low-end, (and speaker distortion) so I use really high wattage speakers in my cabs...my ultimate super faves are the EVM 12L, but they are discontinued and they fetch about $150 each used...another great one that I use is the JBL G-12S...about $300 each, though...bith of these speakers handle 200 watts continuously, and the low end NEVER distorts or gets flabby...the JBL is so tight and clear that I can play acoustic guitar through that cab, and it sound almost as good as using a 2 way PA cab. a cheaper alternative to these high power speakers is teh eminence delta pro 12. I hear that these are pretty close ot the EVM and they only cost $130 each. I've 4 coming for a Marshall 4x12 that I just got. the big thing about the high power speakers is that they are not forgiving of your techinque, and the cones do not add to your distortion. I like them because I play very cleanly (not tone-wise, technique-wise) and every note is articulate. but let me emphasize that your cabinet weight will go up astronomically!! the weight of my EV loaded rivera 4x12 is about 100lbs...it takes 2 guys to easily lift up onto a stage, but the sound is worth it.
      GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

oh yeah, rivera did just come out with a 3x12 cabinet...it's a 2x12 for mids and highs, with another 12 sealed off for the lows. it has a built in crossover to split the frequencies...check it out at www.rivera.com
        GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

the device you are talking about is called a crossover.

you can get an affordable one at a car audio store. they sell those so you can split the frequencies up to go to the tweeters, the mid speakers and the subs.

as for as using it for guitar applications, i've never seen it done. however, i've seen some guys use the hartke aluminum cone cabinets in their rig which i thought sounded pretty good.

Comment

Well, first off, your amp sounds to me like it's too powerful for your speaker cab. I bet if you bought a nicer cabinet, your problem would be gone. Running a sub for just your guitar amp sounds like overkill to me. Besides, what you would need then is a crossover to filter the low end freq. into the sub. Like I said before, try out something that handles more wattage, and/or try different speakers. I bet if you dished out the $ for something like Recto cab, or Marshall 1960, you'd be happier. Good luck either way.

Comment

Thanks for the replies.
              My speakears are 30 watts each. Maybe that's the problem [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
              X