Peavey Ultra 1x12

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peavey Ultra 1x12

Hello, I was checking out this amp and the reveiws and it is almost exactly like the Triple XXX, is the former of the Triple XXX, anyone own one? I meen it has the dampening switch and everything. I have heard it does the high gain thing pretty well like the Triple XXX and they are cheaper to buy used [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] Jack.

Re: Peavey Ultra 1x12

I haven't played the Ultra, but I have a Triumph P.A.G. which is the amp the Ultra was based on. It doesn't have the dapening switch, but it is a pretty damn
    cool 3-channel amp with lots of gain. It
    is also basically the same preamp as the Peavey Rockmaster preamp, considered one of the best budget tube preamps. I paid
    $235 for my Triumph, and other than the clean channel being a bit bland (that's what chorus is for) the crunch is a great
    80's metal rhythm sound, and the Ultra channel is your modern high-gain channel.
    Now earlier Triumphs didn't have a separate EQ for the drive channels, but the P.A.G. does. It was the last Triumph
    before they changed the name to Ultra.

The main diff between the Ultra and the XXX is the XXX is EQ'ed a bit more darkly. If you want that sound, get one of the cheap Legion Sound 212 cabs off Ebay for an extension. They are cheap, and the speakers only go up to 5000khz
    wheras most 12s go to 6500. This gives them a more apparent bassy response, which sounds good mixed with the Peavey's open-back Scorpion.

I hope all my rambling helps a little!

Rich
    Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

Thanks Rich, that helps alot actually!! I love the Triple XXXs sound, but I have a vHT pittbull cLX-100 and a Madison 4x12 for that. I just want a 1x12 high gain travel amp for messing around with, also for in my bedroom or whatever. it sounds as if the Ultra will fit the bill nicely and I can always hook her up to one of those Legion Sound cabs, or I use to have a Madison 2x12 that was heartpounding, kinda like my Madison 4x12, but in a 2x12!! Jack.

Comment

Jack, I had one for around 2 months on consignment. It kicked major ass. The clean was as good as any Fender. The lead channel was outstanding and the Ultra channel was just plain sick. I would say that it could be considered a refined 5150. The dampening switch worked great and with minor tweaking I was able to get anything from Fender to 5150 to a pretty close Mesa sound. Great reverb and VERY loud for a 1 x 12. Another nice thing was it sounded great at any volume from bedroom to earbleed.

Comment

I've had both the Ultra and Ultra Plus heads (the one with the changing green, yellow, red Peavey logo!! Too cool!!) They are great amps for the money and the Ultra Plus is cool because it's got the half power switch that drops it from 120 to 60 watts.. I used mine on 60 watts all the time.. The only thing that I wish they had that would have made them one of the best heads for the money was the lack of the resonance and presence controls like on my Ranger 212 or the 5150's.. The Ultra Plus had a switchable resonance control, but it was only a three position (loose, medium, and tight IIRC) switch that really didn't allow alot of "tweeking"..

I haven't played on of the combo's though.. All my experience was with the heads/cabs.. But I'm sure the combo's are nice too.. I haven't looked lately, but for a while.. you could pick up a nice Ultra Plus head for about $250/$300 in excellent shape... Find a decend cab and there ya go!! Half stack for cheap!!

Comment

We have one at work and its pretty cool and damn ass heavy too. I was checking it out yesturday. I could get some desent tones out of it but was lacking a bit of clearity. It sounded a little too mooshy to me. But it could've been the tubes. It's a really versatile amp for cheap with what i call goofy gain. ( so much gain it's goofy).
            Gil

Comment

Thanks guys!! The GOOFY sound is what I am looking for and kinda 5150 and Boogie sound will be great. The Ultra is like a Triple XXX on the cheap and if the Reverb is only ok, that is good for me, I don`t use it all that much [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] My guess is the Ultra was replaced with the Triple XXX, they added some Metal look and some more Bass and rebadged it a Triple XXX, that`s cool [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img] Jack.

Comment

I just saw one today for 500 bucks used it was buried under like 50 amps or something so I never tryed it out , so they are suppose to be similar to a xxx hey ? I'll have to try it out sometime I need a practice amp for teaching soon I am not gonna lug my huge rigg every where I go [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] they also had a old 5150 combo with no tag on it a 2/12 have you guys tryed one of these ? I ve played the head but not the combo a buddy had one one time and I just never payed any atention to it so it can't be totally killer I guess but it's probably costly cause it has no tag on it and it's been there for 1 year collecting dust .//Steve

Comment

Originally posted by slayer:
                  Thanks guys!! The GOOFY sound is what I am looking for and kinda 5150 and Boogie sound will be great. The Ultra is like a Triple XXX on the cheap and if the Reverb is only ok, that is good for me, I don`t use it all that much [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] My guess is the Ultra was replaced with the Triple XXX, they added some Metal look and some more Bass and rebadged it a Triple XXX, that`s cool [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img] Jack.
                  <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">for sound reference man the dude from the crown plays ultra heads has forever , nice nasty sounding amp forsure lol //Steve

Comment

Thanks guys!! Steve, $500 is way high for a used 1x12 60 watt Ultra, more like about half that. I can get some very nice used 100 Watt amps used for $500, but I still appreciate it!! If you can get that 5150 combo for $500, now that is a different story, they are worth more [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] Jack.

Comment

If that's $500 CDN the price isn't so bad, especially since it'd be higher-priced in Canada too. You're right, the Ultra 112 can be had for $250 to $300 in the US, though they do sometimes bring more. Add about $30 for shipping to the price unless it's local though.
                      Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by slayer:
                        Thanks guys!! Steve, $500 is way high for a used 1x12 60 watt Ultra, more like about half that. I can get some very nice used 100 Watt amps used for $500, but I still appreciate it!! If you can get that 5150 combo for $500, now that is a different story, they are worth more [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] Jack.
                        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">thats Canadian man lol //Steve

Comment

Originally posted by lerxstcat:
                          If that's $500 CDN the price isn't so bad, especially since it'd be higher-priced in Canada too. You're right, the Ultra 112 can be had for $250 to $300 in the US, though they do sometimes bring more. Add about $30 for shipping to the price unless it's local though.
                          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">yeah everything in Canada is bloody higher ! I can almost get everything cheaper from the US but if I ever got nabbed with customs it would be totally way more and not worth it , so most of the time its a crap shoot , you never know , it's been 50/50 with me //Steve

Comment

Oops!! I didn`t know that was in Canada. That is a good price then [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] Jack.

Comment

Working...
                            X