Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5150 II?

Hey folks..
    Anyone out there use or own a 5150 II head? I used to use a 5150 (first version) back when they first came out, and loved it, all except the clean channel...wasn't much to it. I've noticed that the 5150 II has an EQ section in the clean channel, and I was thinking about getting rid of my Laneys to try one of these. Anyone have any opinions on it? I'm especially interested in how the clean channel sounds, since that was the big disappointment for me on the standard 5150.
    Thanks!

Re: 5150 II?

You nailed it. The 5150II has a good clean channel now. Unfortunately lots of players claim that the lead channel isn't as good as the 1st gen models. Keep your Laneys dude. They ROCK!!

Comment

The clean is better on the 5150II. The rhythm channel (clean/crunch) has less gain giving it a better clean. The lead channel also has less gain. The amp overall is a bit brighter than the original 5150. The 5150II has separate EQ's for thr rhythm and lead channels, the crunch is foot switchable, and the bias is adjustable thought the range is narrow. I have a 5150II available. I also do mods on the originals to give them a better clean. I have pics and clips on my page.
      Jerry
      FJA Mods YouTube

Comment

Actually, I DO like my Laneys...I've been using them forever, but I'm getting a little tired of the complex setup I have to use with them. Since they're basically single channel heads, I have to use 1 head for clean and 1 for gain, and then A/B them into an old talk box for a dummy load because I don't want to split my 4X12 cabinet into stereo, etc. I thought maybe a good 2 channel amp would be easier. JerryP, I checked your website...do you think I could order some sort of channel switching box that would act as a dummy load for the head that wasn't being used? You seem to know your gear! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

I currently own a 5150 II and used to have the 5150.

Everything that's been said is correct. However, I'm not sure if the clean (rhythm channel) is better than the original version, just cleaner. Its very bright and sparkley - which may be your thing. The footswitchable crunch IMO is silly because of the significant volume jump.

I suppose it has less gain, but I don't think it makes any difference, as the 5150 II has more than enough gain to turn your tone into mush.

I've also notice a hard-to-define difference in the voicing of the lead channel, most people describe it as a difference in the mid range.

In any event, my 5150 II is all stock except for JJ 6L6GCs. I really, really like the amp despite its continued shortcomings in the clean department. Its super-quick response and tightess make it a lead player's friend. I would imagine that if one so desired, some mods to this amp would help tame the sparkle and brightness of the clean channel, and I would really listen to the lead tone before having it modded back to the specs of the original.

Comment

Working...
          X