Sweedish Tone: Im tone deaf

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sweedish Tone: Im tone deaf

Search for the PERFECT (with wat I have =D) Melodic thrash tone! I pretty much have everything I need but the *ear* to find the tone myself

Heres the Gear

Peavey 5150 (Block EVH, Groove tubes)
    5150 4x12 Straight Cab (the sheif's)
    2 Jackson Dinkys (81/85 and 81/SA/SA)
    Les Paul Custom (81/60)

Boss Ge-7, Ns-2, dd-3, bf-2
    DOD Ice box, EH Holy Grail Reverb
    Dunlop GCB-95

Thru The Lead Channel (Bridge Pickup)

pre low mid high post res pres
    5.0 6.0 5.0 5.0 /////// 5.0 5.0

Ge-7 Settings

100 200 400 800 1.6k 3.2k 6.4k level
    +10 -5.. +5.. -5.. +5.. 0.. +6... +2/5.

Now it may look like just #'s to people but when acutally put to the test, it doesn't nail my sweed tone that im after. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Can u help a tone deaf fuk out plz

Re: Sweedish Tone: Im tone deaf

Forgot to Mention:

Sweedish MDM tone:
    some ref.
    Arch Enemy - Black Earth, Soilwork - Steelbath Suicide etc.

Comment

My favorite Swedish band... The Haunted! [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Dude, you and I are in the same search. I'm getting rid of all my gear to get that "swedish" tone I like so much like In Flames and Soilwork. I'm going to get a Peavey 5150 II sometime this or next week,an Ibanez RG and a GE-7. I'll keep an eye on this post to see what comes up that might help me on my quest for good tone. [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

tune yoru guitar down to D, C or even B..standard. and pump the post gain up to 5..that'll open up the 5150's tone. It doesn't seem to do much good past that though..as far as loudness...so that's about as loud as it'll get..and as loud as you'll ever need.

with your pre-gain at about 5 or 6..soemwhere inbetween...you should be well on your way to some serious swedish death tones.

another thing is you migh twant to throw some svetlana 6l6's power tubes into that bad boy too. that'll improve the sound as well...no more annoying fuzz...and the lead tone will be fuller as well...up on the meedly strings.

Comment

Originally posted by the_drip:
            another thing is you migh twant to throw some svetlana 6l6's power tubes into that bad boy too. that'll improve the sound as well...no more annoying fuzz...and the lead tone will be fuller as well...up on the meedly strings.
            <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">What about preamp tubes, what do recommend?

Comment

all the bands mentioned tune to B

so get yourself some 12's or 13's and re-setup your axe. then start finding your sound

note: when tuning that low, you will need to back off the low end. the low tuning will make up for the lack of lows in the guitar sound.
              Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

oh and loose all the effects pedals for distortion and go straight tube amp.
                Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

Arch Enemy plays in C now. B is too muddy...their old shit sounds better in C when they play it live now too. Eureka and bury me and angel are fuckin awesome. [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

but everything that has been recorded with Angela Gossow is in Standard C tuning.

Comment

Archenemy all the fawkin' way! I luv leader of the rats. Angella Gossow can really kick shat on vocal duties1 It blows me away! I think it's also kinda cool that the guitarists trade of on lead duties. You don't see that much in underground metal (or at least I haven't been paying attention).

I've heard of Meshugga, but never got a chance to "hear" them. what are they like?

Comment

messhugah is more avant garde. great players, but they tend to use weird effects and shit on their leads that I have a hard time getting into. But they are heavy as hell in the riff department. good stuff...they've influenced alot of bands.

I don't think you can really compare them to anyone else though. they recorded with 8 string guitars I guess...but I've never heard of them actually using them live.

Comment

In Flames tunes to c?

Comment

The Haunted tuned to E and Eb on their old stuff, now they're in D.
                          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I managed to nail that perfect Swede-tone for way cheap. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] A Peavey Supreme head through a Carvin 4x12. The only effect I use is a 31-band graphic EQ in the loop. The amp itself is pretty damn close, and I haven't actually used the EQ in a while. As a matter of fact I was looking through this Soilwork fansite one day and came across some studio pictures and sure enough, sitting on top of a random cabinet, was a Peavery Supreme. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

HAHA! I was just looking at your amp tone settings. That's the EXACT same place I keep mine. [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Something you might want to try is running the GE7 through the loop. Shape the sound AFTER the preamp has already shaped it once. It will give you more control, believe me.

Something to keep in mind is that what the record sounds like and what the amps sound like are ENTIRELY different things. Sure, the recording has a really thumpy bottom end but that is NOT coming from the guitars. It's all bass. The best thing you can do is just find something that sounds great and not worry about nailing that tone perfectly, because odds are you already have. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

svetlana's are the best...for the 5150 preamp and power amp. IMO

Comment

Working...
                              X