Splawn Marshalls

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Splawn Marshalls

In another forum someone posted a link to the Splawn Guitars website where they have some clips posted of a modded Marshall that they offer. I have to say that all the clips sound amazing with a price that doesn't seem too outta wack for what you're getting. Anyone here own one? Opinions please... Thanks!

Re: Splawn Marshalls

Hey, there I have a 1987XL with the Splawn mod. It sounds killer & I love it. If your after that Brown sound, it nails it and goes beyond. If you have any questions feel free to drop me a line.

[email protected]

John

Comment

The splawn mod is nice. I have been to Scott's shop 3 times and I am always amazed at the tone of his amps. I have not gotten one yet though. I have an amp getting modded by Mark Cameron right now and I will probably someday get a Splawn as well. If you go with a Splawn buy the amp from him it's cheaper.

Comment

I just bought one used, so I'll let you know how it is after I receive it . I can tell you that I bought it based on the clips that I heard and the conversations I had with Scott. What a great guy!

Comment

Tim - I've been thinking about getting a Cameron mod for a while ..
          I heard Aldrich's tone, and that convinced me...
          [img]graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img]
          When you get it, let me know what you think.

Comment

I will let you know and If you want I contact you and play it for you. Mark is just waiting for some parts so he is almost done.

Comment

The Splawn mod is nice but every Splawn head sound the same. Mark will mod the head to your liking and does several mods. Mark wants you to get the tone in your head. They are both great guys to deal with.

Comment

Sounds like a plan! I'd love to hear it
                A bud of mine has the Splawn Mod - sounds pretty damn good.
                Back in the day I had 2 consecutively numbered Metaltronix M-1000's (WHY did I ever sell those) as well as a Lee Jackon modded white Marshall head... the thing had GREAT tone, but was so noisy, we called it "The Grill"
                Anyway - I have heard great stuff about the Cameron amps.
                I missed out on that Jose Arredondo modded Marshall on eBay a few weeks back... the last one I heard sounded GREAT! Hard to come by, and he is no longer with us.. [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]
                And there was a Todd Langner Modded one one the 'bay a while back... I LOVE those modded amps

Comment

I love Lee Jackson's stuff too. I have an XLS that I just love. I also used to have a Metaltronix head and a Perfect Connection preamp and a Old Plexi he modded. Mark can do the Jose mod and will save you big $ compared to what you can buy one for. Mark knows more about the Jose mods than anyone. Marks Jose mod get you that true Brown sound plus extra gain for that great John Sykes tone. Mark is now also offering a Dino Cazares mod.

Comment

I have an ENGL that absolutely kicks ass... but there is something about the Marshall "chunk" that other amps don't quite do....
                    I'll probably take the plunge later this year with a mod.. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

I got my 1987x with the Splawn Mod and KT-88s last week but the tubes were broken, so I had to order another pair from Scott Splawn. I got those on Saturday.

This amp rocks!

If you are looking for an 80s metal sound, look no further. Great mids and sustain forever. And since the mod is done with the preamp, there is no need for a power brake either. I can get great tones at less than 1 on the master volume.

One of the great features of this amp is that is brings out the tonal variations of each guitar/pup combinations. Using an SL-2H with EMGs I can get something approaching a more modern metal sound. With my Infinity Pro that has DiMarzio Custom Steve Morse pups, I get a great blues rock crunch.

This amp was the reason I sold my Vetta. The Vetta is a great amp that is far more versatile. But I was looking for a particular tone that I just could not dial in with the Vetta.

The only reason I would ditch this amp would be to buy a Splawn 1959 SLP with the clean mod. The 1987x does not have the room to add the clean mod.

Comment

Originally posted by Tim Krueger:
                        Mark can do the Jose mod and will save you big $ compared to what you can buy one for. Mark knows more about the Jose mods than anyone. Marks Jose mod get you that true Brown sound plus extra gain for that great John Sykes tone. Mark is now also offering a Dino Cazares mod.
                        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">True. Mark has examined numerous Jose modded amps. He can replicate it and improve upon it. He does know more about the Jose mod than anyone.

Comment

Hey guys,
                          How do I contact Mark Cameron? I would love to have the Jose mod. I have been looking for a Jose modded Marshall for years. I missed the one on the Bay recently too.

Thanks

Comment

Here you go!

Mark's # is 818-500-0286

Comment

i recently bought a splawn modded 1987x and it sounds great and has a clean solo boost built it that is handy. whatever you do make sure you get kt88's. they sound much better. [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

with these amps, the pickup selection you use is very noticeable. i used a les paul with duncan antiquities and could get great allman bros tone all the way up to van halen/ demartini tone. with my #1 charvel with a vintage non marked jb it sounds like van halen heaven. when i used emg's , it did not sound as sweet. do older pickups tend to mellow with age? ive played guitars with newer jb's before and they dont sound as good. [img]graemlins/evilimages/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                              X