Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mesa F series amps? anyone try them? how are they?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mesa F series amps? anyone try them? how are they?

I am looking at those Mesa F series amps. Primarily the F30. I am looking for a nice little 2 channel combo amp thats got good tone and its more portable to use for a backup and for jamm sessions or rehearsals. One good clean sound and one rocking overdrive sound. Does anyone know how these F series amps sound? anyone try them? anyone own them? I am curious to hear what anyone has to say about htem. Thanks in advance!!! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "clean sounds are for pussies" - Axewielder

Re: Mesa F series amps? anyone try them? how are they?

I have tried them and they are not bad. I think there are better amps out for the money. They have more of that Marshall sound. They do not sound like a rectifier which in my opionion is good!

Comment

I got an F-30 1x12 combo off ebay a couple months back for $600. It's a great little amp that I play in the living room at low volume, and it's awesome! It has the Mesa sound, but it can be tweaked to more of a smoother Marshall sound. I've brought it down the basement and cranked it up a little, and that sucker gets loud!!!! I'll eventually bring it over my cousin's house where I'll jam with another guitar player and drummer, and I've no doubt that it will cut through just fine. It's got 2.5 channels (1 clean, 2 medium gain, the contour switch for channel 2 brings it up to higher gain). Plus, it's got a separate reverb control for both channels that can also be switched on or off via the footswitch. It's got a great clean sound (and there's a bright pull feature on the clean channel's gain control... it's not mentioned in the manual, and a lot of people don't notice it on the amp unless looking real close and right above the knob). The second channel has plenty of gain and is voiced a little dark, but once you switch on the contour, it boosts the treble and bass and scoops the mids a little (Mesa says it's basically like their older amps with the five-band graphic eq set to the V position). The amp's gain structure is loosely based on the Recto amps, but is a little different harmonically and not as over-the-top. I love the amp and think it's got plenty of gain for the heaviest music with its two EL84 power tubes and four 12AX7 preamp tubes. And I only have the gain control at about 2 or 3 o'clock.
      The F-50 and F-100 have 6L6 power tubes instead and it's voiced a tiny bit different than the F-30. I believe the F-100 also has the graphic eq built right into it for even more tonal variety. The F series is a great bang for the buck!! [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

F-30 yes

F-50/100 no

if you get the 30 you'll like it because of the EL84's

you won't like it if you get the 50 or 100 cause you'll never get the tone your looking for out of the 6L6's because of the way the gain stage is designed with the F series

the EL84 just do something different to sound and you can use gain and volume to really push them to the sound you want.

the F series is not designed to get that high gain recto sound. but you can get close (if not a better, more vintage)sound by pushing EL84's and still have useable volume. 6L6's have to be pushed harder to sound good at all and once they start to break up real good, the cops have already come to tell you to turn it down.

JMO
        ~JW
        Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

Thanks guys!!! I appreciate the input! I realize the F30 is not a recto and I dont expect it to be. I just thought it looked like a nice little amp that would give me 2 good useable tones in a portable package. Something that you can just grab and take to a jam session and dont need 2 of your best freinds to help carry it. I am just after portability and sound for a decent price and that seems to have it. Thanks again!!! Mucho appreciated!! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/band.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
          "clean sounds are for pussies" - Axewielder

Comment

I just bought an F-50 today after trying it and the F-30 and I have to say that I like it better. It has plenty of gain, not Marshall gain, Boogie gain. It sounds alot like my old Studio .22 boogie from the 80's. Clean sharp distortion. If you want Marshall distortion in a combo, get the TSL 601, it's the best combo they are currently making.

The F-30 sounded great, I did really like it, but I wanted the extra headroom of the F-50 and the distortion of the 6L6's were more up my alley. I like the EL84's in the F-30, but not as much as the others. Really it's a matter of personal preference here. Play both and decide based on your own ear.

Keep in mind that you need to crank the F-50 a bit louder to make the tubes work and sound really nice.

I also tried a TSL122 at the same time as the 2 boogies and it came in at a distant third to me. It sounded WAY too muddy. The DSL line sounds better, but I have heard horror stories from no less than 5 previous DSL401 owners, I wasn't willing to take the chance on it.

In a nutshell, the F-50 sounded the best of all the amps I tried. I hope you get a chance to try it and the F-30 before you decide.

Chuck
            "Those who know what's best for us, must rise and save us from ourselves!"

Comment

Working...
            X