Old Judas Priest tone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old Judas Priest tone

Hey guys , I'm looking to get the tone of the last couple of albums priest put out right before Halford left.I heard they used rocktron stuff during that time does anyone know if thats correct? I'm looking to get that sound BUT in a home practice amp not a super loud half stack. Any ideas?

Re: Old Judas Priest tone

Here's my recepie for Painkiller Tone:

Rhoads Pro w/EMG 81 Bridge pickup
    Boss Metalzone MT-2
    Boss Flanger BF-2
    1970's Silverface Fender Twin

This works really well for me, but of course YMMV. I really think the Metalzone is hard to beat for low volume practice amp metal tone. The flanger really gives it the Priest flavor. I have a Boss GE-7 in the chain (great with the metalzone) also, but I don't use it for the Priest tone.

Comment

The last I saw on the Juglator tour, KK was using a Rocktron Pirahna and a Marshall 9200 Power amp, amd Glen was using a Marshall JMP-1 and a Marshal 9200 power amp. I'd figure earlier stuf was recorded with that stuff and then older Marshalls.

Comment

Can I get good tones at home with the rocktron stuff (low volume) .I had a rocktron pro gap and didn't like it for what I wanted but I got it cause of the low $$$. Is that the way to go though? How bout a poweramp can I get away with a ss poweramp? Again this is mostly for home use but I want good tone . Thanks

Comment

IIRC KK began to use piranha with Jugulator.Imo it's great for thrash metal,the low gain channel is not so good although.Regarding ss poweramps,I think rocktron velocities (I have one,pretty transparent sounding) are better than marshall vs,that's all I can say,I've not much experience with ss poweramps.

Comment

..mosvalves should be fine too.

Comment

So whats a fair price for the voodu valve and mesa 20/20 used?

Comment

Usually the Voodu is around $300 (I got mine for $230), and I've seen the Mesa 20/20 for $300+ or so...

Try a voodu somewhere first, and see what you think.

Comment

Well, for home, you might think of a Rocktron Voodu Valve and a MESA 20/20, a nice low power combo for a two rackspace rig. Not a big fan of Most solid state power amp units for live, but down living room low, I liked a few solid state units I tried. When they get loud, they sound bad to me though.

The Voodu does have a lot of distortion settings that are good for a wide range from rock to brutal metal stuff and gets a good clean sound as well. It gets a quite authentic Marshall tone IMO and I liked it for the reason.

It has some acceptable effects built in too. It's just a little dead sounding in some ways, but a great preamp.

The Pirahna are supposed to be good, but I never liked them in the store much. I will admit though I never liked the Voodu in the store either, I got it home and tweaked a couple weeks and loved it.

Comment

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Cleveland Metal:
                    [QB] Well, for home, you might think of a Rocktron Voodu Valve and a MESA 20/20, a nice low power combo for a two rackspace rig.

Hey John I've got a 4-12 sitting at home do you think the vv and 20/20 will drive this well? Also maybe I should pick up a 2-12 for this set up what do you think?

Comment

It would be fine... [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

P I K A -

you may be interested in this
                        http://www.hamerfanclub.com/dcforum/...1/11811.html#7

Comment

Working...
                        X