Power amps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Power amps

I have a question. Are there any power amps out there that are solidstate than can be set to work with a 16 ohm cab for cheap. I have a Mosvalve MV-962, it's a great power amp... bu tit just isn't cutting it. I have to push it REALLY hard to get the volume I need out of my cab, I am going to sell off my MV and get something else with a little more balls and well that is rated for a 16 ohm cab. Thanx for any help, you all seem to know your gear around here and well are not asses like other boards.

Re: Power amps

Just possibly, you might contemplate looking at what impedance your individual speakers are in the cab, and seeing if you could wire the cab to an 8 ohm configuration... It's a possibility, and considerably cheaper.

You'll be looking at a fairly pricey solid state PA amp of considerable wattage to get a fair amount of watts into 16 ohms... I'm not a PA amp pro, but I notice most PA stuff goes 2-4-8 ohms and not sure about higher. Might be asking a lot.

Comment

all the speakers are 16 ohm wired in mono/stereo. I need a good diagram or explination to wire them lower, I could never find one.

Comment

I'm sure there are other sources, but I've used http://www.colomar.com/Shavano/spkr_wiring.html before.

Having said that, I have a Marshall Valvestate 8008 (80x2) that I need to sell, but I don't know that you'd be any happier with it than what you're already using. [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

Keith
        The JCF-er Formerly Known as axtogrind.

myspace.com/boogieblockmusic

Comment

live I use an ENGL Powerball but here at home or just jamming out with people I use my rack and save tubes. I am looking for a Marshall 8200 Bi-Chorus head though, I love that Dejent style mutes you can get out of it.

Comment

Since you have a stereo amp, rewiring 16 ohm cab for stereo

Your Two 16 ohm *Celestion speakers per side wired in Parallel will be 8 Ohms a side in stereo. That previosly mentioned site explains that actually.

You'll Need 2 (two) separate 1/4" input jacks per side.

Wire the two pairs of speakers like this:

Positive (+) from One speaker to the Positive (+) to the next speaker.

Positive (+) from the Pair to the Positive(+) on the input jack(for that side).

Negative (-) from One speaker to the Negative(-) to the next speaker.

Negative (-) from the Pair to the Negative on the input jack.(for that side).

Now repeat the SAME wiring for the other side of Speakers (Pair) to the separate Input jack for that side.

You Now have 2 sets (a Pair) of speakers Per Side into their OWN 1/4" input jack wired in 8 Ohms Stereo Per Side. (Divide the two 16 Ohm speakers per side wired in Parallel and you have 8 Ohms).

Good luck!

Comment

Well said, Sir John! [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

K
              The JCF-er Formerly Known as axtogrind.

myspace.com/boogieblockmusic

Comment

Working...
              X