tube + solid state

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tube + solid state

Ok here is the deal. I have been looking for a decent amp for a good metal tone but tubes are just too loud for living in an apartment. After allot of research I have rules out modeling amps because I don’t want a bunch of sounds I want a rock and metal sound only for now. I have a little Marshall 15 head and just borrowed a peavey rock master preamp. I’m running it through the clean channel. Is there anything negative about doing this? It gets me allot closer to that sound I have been on the hunt for but it’s at low levels and well basically really cheap fix for now. How long do tube preamps last? How should I hook it up?

Re: tube + solid state

Considering your situation, you're doing fine plugging it into the clean channel. You "can" look at the preamp as "sort" of a distortion pedal.

Tube preamps can last indefinitely. Sometimes tubes can get old, but they are cheap to replace. The Rockmasters have occassionally had some issues with relays inside going bad and may stop switching channels, but are great preamps for the most part.

If it gives you the sound you're looking for, go for it! The rockmaster is a very cool low cost preamp.

Comment

Re: tube + solid state

Just as a reference, the preamp tubes in my Gibson amp are most likely the originals from the early sixties-RCA 6eu7's. You can buy 12ax7's, the most common ones for practically nothing if it should ever go bad, which it probably won't unless you actually damage it through handling.

Comment

Working...
      X