need a pup for my Gibson V...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need a pup for my Gibson V...

I need something that'll retain the crunch of my amp-jcm 2204,but will help drive it a bit. I play all the old school metal, a la early Metallica, Slayer, Ozzy, Judas Priest, Maiden, you get the pic. Would like something that accentuates the lower strings when palm muted . Im also using a wah, and od. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Re: need a pup for my Gibson V...

Three letters , EMG [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

...and 2 numbers: 81

[img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

That's what Slayer, Metallica, and Priest have either used or are using.
      "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Originally posted by RacerX:
        ...and 2 letters: 81

[img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

That's what Slayer, Metallica, and Priest have either used or are using.
        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Technically, I believe those are called numbers. [img]graemlins/poke.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Gaha, got you before the edit ! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

If you're moving up from stock Gibson pups and don't want to go the EMG route, you might try one of Gibson's Angus Young or Tony Iommi Signature humbuckers. I have and like both, particularly for 80s rock/metal sounds.
            Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam!

Comment

Originally posted by PaddoK:
              Gaha, got you before the edit ! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I don't know *what* you are talking about, you fake quoter, you! [img]graemlins/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
              "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

read my "new EMG configuration" thread in Tech Q&A for MY point of view [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

- Rune.

Comment

For an old-school sound without going active, try a DiMarzio Super Distortion. [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
                  I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Gibson's 500T is also a good choice - or a Dirty Fingers. Those are the highest output pickups Gibson makes, and the DF is basically a Super Distortion copy.
                    Though I'd personally much prefer a Duncan Distortion in the bridge and a Custom in the neck (but put the bridge model in the neck, not the neck model).

Newc
                    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Working...
                    X