Need help with line6 AX2 212

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help with line6 AX2 212

[img]graemlins/help.gif[/img] I have a Line 6 AX2 212. I love this amp as long as I am playing by myself, in my house. Other than that I can't seem to get any punch out of this damn thing. When friends come over and crank up their amps. I just fade into the background, and it seems to skip notes. So I just leave it off and use my 20+ year old sunn beta lead with some stomp boxes. The sunn has the punch I need, it can peel the paint off the walls but the tone and gain is not what I want. Can anyone suggest some program setting. I like the preprogramed channel (P11) as well as several others. I tried backing way off on the distortion on P11 but it still has no punch. I bought this amp 3 or 4 years back thinking I would start playing again after many years away. But it collected dust until I started back playing about 9 months ago. I was dissapointed when I went to set in with my first band using it. (Of course the other guitarist was using a 100w JCM). And now it looks as though all I have is a very expensive 100watt practice amp. I have tried tweeking it but all I seem to come up with, is worse crap out of it. It maybe, that this can be corrected with more tweeking. Can anyone give me some pointers as to the best way to approach this problem. I know some would say buy a new amp. But that is out of the question at this time as I just bought a new sl2h and don't have the disposable income for a new amp. The amp didn't come with a floorboard and I don't want to throw more money down a dry hole if this is a problem with these amps. [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img]

Thanks for any help/suggestions.

Mathyus

Re: Need help with line6 AX2 212

Mathyus,

I'm sorry to say that I experience the same thing with mine. I have accepted the fact, that my AX2 is a 100w practice amp. I can't keep up with anyone playing anything more than a combo amp.

It's unfortunate because there are some pretty cool tones on that amp, but it just doesn't cut through.

I just started with a new band. I took the AX2 to my audition, and they had to mic my amp through the PA in order to hear it.
    You may wanna try that if that's an option. You can actually hook up up direct through the back of the amp. I used this amp live (outdoors) once by doing just that.

Hope that helps (a little).

Adolfo

Comment

Adolfo,

Thanks for your input. At least I know I am not alone in this. sigh [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img] . What you said about the direct out into the PA sounds like it maybe an option until I get more funds for a better amp.

Thanks again Bro.

Mathyus

Comment

Yeah, I've got an AX212, and I also find it to be a bit lacking. One problem is I find it too complex to program, so I haven't really tried to change it much. A friend has a FlextoneII and it seems to put out more, and it is easier to use as well. I used to have a POD and found that to be alot easier to mess with than the AX212. POD and FlextoneII have similar controls, I think.

I find I use the P9 setting alot, with Drive on. P11 is also pretty good.

I can't seem to get a good delay with the AX212 -- nothing as easy as the POD was. Also I have the floorboard but the volume pedal died long ago.

Yeah so I've been thinking about selling it and getting something else -- like a Flextone, Vetta, or perhaps that new Marshal...

Comment

Wasn't that the first amp Line 6 put out? I believe I read that they might have fixed the glitches on some newer models and there might even be some software upgrades for it. Email Line 6 and see what they tell you.
          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

You may want to consider possibly making a cover for the back of the cab and potentially turning it into a closed-back combo. It'll give it a bit more focus and punch. A friend of mine did it with his Flextone combo (along with putting Celstions in it) and it really made a difference.

Comment

Hmmm a back sounds like an interesting idea... I actually swapped in a pair of carvin "british series" 12" speakers. Sounds better for rock now. But I'm not going to trade mine in yet; I do like the headphone, aux input, and floorboard.
              rock on

Comment

And here's some other interesting info -- my friend with the flextoneII has a 2x12 cab (a homemade one) that he drives with a Peavy power amp connected to the flextone's effects loop output. It really rocks, once you get the levels right. the 2x12 cab has carvin british series 12" speakers. It has a stereo cable from the flextone to the peavey.

Anyway, the punchline is that my AX212 can't drive it at all! Brings it to it's knees. Criples the signal. This is using the output/headphone jack in the back center of the AX212. Also using the AUX input drains the main signal.

So yes it is the first line6 amp, probably things have improved with subsequent models!

But I do love my AX212 anyway.

Comment

I took toejam's suggestion and emailed Line6 my concerns. I went to their site a couple weeks ago and got the impression they didn't really offer anything on AX2's anymore. Hopefully they will get back to me soon. But in the process of sending them the email it automaticlly sent me to their faq section. There was a previous question simular to the one I posted here.

They had a chart showing the Fletcher Munson effect or something, anyway a kinda basic scale of the effects on frequencies from low to high volume. Then I went to another site and spent way to much time reading about SPL ratings of the dB scale and other such stuff that was entirely to scientific... Don't ask... Hehe..

Anyway I will see if they get back to me and let you all know what they say.

And inclosing the cab might not be a bad ideal either.

Thanks

Mathyus

Comment

Working...
                  X