Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Really Small Practice Amp That Shreds ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Really Small Practice Amp That Shreds ???

Is there such a thing?

By small, I mean under 40 lbs, preferably around 30 lbs or less with reverb and some equilization. I just want something cheap and light weight to throw around at the office. Is there anything like that out there that actually has a decent shred sound?

Right now I'm looking at a Peavey Envoy, 40W, 10" speaker, 32lbs........ kind of OK distortion sound but not a shred monster by any means. Anybody make anything that really screams?

Re: Really Small Practice Amp That Shreds ???

I had one of those Crate mini-stacks a few years ago, and I thought the built-in crunch stuff was decent - not super-saturated but passable. You might could stuff an OD or Dist pedal in the back of one of the cabs and leave it on all the time to boost the gain.

Or you could get a POD and a set of PC speakers [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Newc
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

the line 6 spider 2 is pretty awesome.
      it's small, has alot of good sounds and i believe its only $299.

Comment

Greg -

A small modelling combo would probably be just the ticket. The Behringer stuff is ok, and the Line 6 is pretty good IMHO. The Jam Shack at 28th or so and Yale is a behringer dealer and has some of the amps last time I was in... Saieds has the line 6 stuff. Try it at one of those places and then buy one used or online [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Pete

Comment

If you want to throw something around the office, then I'd suggest a ping pong ball or something...not a small guitar amp!! Seriously though check out that Peavey Transtube with the 12 inch speaker, or a Line 6 Spyder...I also use my POD with some PC speakers, it sounds rad as well!!

Comment

Key here is CHEAP! This is something that's going to be kicked around the office a lot, abused and if it gets stolen, I don't want to be upset about it.

Comment

I have a Kustom Tube 12 that sounds decent with a distortion pedal (I use a DS1). I've seen them new at around $80-90.

Comment

fender roc pro combo (good luck finding one) the heads are around 200 or less - haven't seen the combo though. great sounding for the price.

mesa .50cal EL84 ver combo (not the plus ver). man what a great amp! i have the head and a mesa cab and love it so much. or the studio .22+

you could always try the marshall avt series. they sound good at low volumes and can recreate pretty much any of the marshall tones (only at low volumes)

nothin wrong with a peavey bandit or backstage - and i really like the classic 30!

the bearhinger vintager. my brother got one and loves it.

you could always get a line 6 1x12 combo.

hell an old craete can sound good if you tweak it right.

i guess it just depends on your budget.

search ebay.

~JW
                Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

Crate DXJ112

Comment

Originally posted by Greg Crowe:
                    Key here is CHEAP! This is something that's going to be kicked around the office a lot, abused and if it gets stolen, I don't want to be upset about it.
                    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Go to the nearest pawn shop, get a fifty dollar crate practice amp then! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Pete

Comment

Get a cheap POD off of ebay, and plug it into a cheap powered speaker.

You can then also record with the POD, and use the powered speaker for other crap.

Comment

I have the Peavey Envoy 110 and it's a great little amp. I bought mine new for $230. Used they're way cheaper. The Bandit 112 sounds better but costs about $100 more.

Comment

I'm thinking maybe the POD and computer speakers idea might work best. Can I plug my powered computer speakers into it and get a decent shred sound?

Comment

In my opinion, yeah!

Comment

Greg, if you have speakers hooked up to that gaming PC in your office, you could plug a pod into the PC and then play along to songs and stuff through the PC speakers. Then just take the pod with you when you leave (you aren't going to leave a guitar there, are ya?)

Pete

Comment

Working...
                              X