Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Really Small Practice Amp That Shreds ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Really Small Practice Amp That Shreds ???

If your considering the POD. Then you may want to think about the digitech Genesis 1. It's not as fancy as the POD, but has some cool modeling sounds. I saw 3 on the bay the other day for less than fifty bucks. Plus it will fit in a desk drawer no theft.

Comment

Checkout www.voodooamps.com Trace(the owner) can rig you a small practice amp that shreds for short money.

Comment

I've got the little Tech21 Trademark 10 and it smokes. You may want a pedal for totally brutal distortion, but it can get pretty close on its own. I run mine with a Keeley TS9 and Wah out front.

Comment

I have heard good things about this little guy...
          http://www.andysmusiconline.com/Prod...Code=Cube%2030

edit.... Here's his little bro http://www.andysmusiconline.com/Prod...Code=Cube%2015 Under $100!
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6M4lm9Ahz0

Comment

A couple of my past mini-brutes have been a Peavey Rage (so much gain for a little amp) and laugh all you want, but a Squier 15. It didn't have channel switching, just a gain and master volume, but it sounded pretty sick in my dorm room. YOu could probably find the Peaveys around 50 or so, and the squiers are a dime a dozen. There was a previous mention of the Fender Roc-pro amps, and they are very cool, but I don't remeber them being small. They first went under the "performer" name i.e. Performer 750, 1000, etc. THey have a tube preamp, so the gain is pretty high, and you could probably get one real cheap. Also, those little Marshall mini stacks, the battery operated ones, are pretty cool yto mess with.

Comment

Marshall MS2

http://www.zzounds.com/item--MSHMS2
              "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

I have one of both Marshall 9V battery amps, the 1/2 stack and full stack. They're cute but not much for sound.

Comment

Originally posted by Greg Crowe:
                  Is there such a thing?

By small, I mean under 40 lbs, preferably around 30 lbs or less with reverb and some equilization. I just want something cheap and light weight to throw around at the office. Is there anything like that out there that actually has a decent shred sound?

Right now I'm looking at a Peavey Envoy, 40W, 10" speaker, 32lbs........ kind of OK distortion sound but not a shred monster by any means. Anybody make anything that really screams?
                  <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">hey greg try those new spiders by line 6 , 75 watts and that insane chanell is nuts full fx's ! 12 inch speaker , light , and up here they go for 460 or so , so down there you should be able to get em for 200 or 300 or something , the old one was only 50 watts and red the new ones are 75 and blue , best bang for the buck in my opinion and full fx's , awesome practice amp if I had the cash I'd get one myself . the behringer V-ampire is awesome as well I have never tryed one out cause the store I use to work at sells em before I can ever get my hands on one the day they come in they are gone . //Steve

Comment

Originally posted by mudkicker:
                    If your considering the POD. Then you may want to think about the digitech Genesis 1. It's not as fancy as the POD, but has some cool modeling sounds. I saw 3 on the bay the other day for less than fifty bucks. Plus it will fit in a desk drawer no theft.
                    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Or the Johnson J-Station. Not made anymore, and I don't know MF is still blowing them out, but they were down to $79 new for a while.

Keith
                    The JCF-er Formerly Known as axtogrind.

myspace.com/boogieblockmusic

Comment

Roland Cube 30 or 15. I have the Cube 30 and it is awesome. Has 3 excellent metal models, plus a good acoustic simulator and, best of all, a separate channel for the Roland Jazz Chorus model. Effects are okay.

If you wanted something a little more versatile, go with JG's suggestion: Crate DXJ112. Very versatile. I have JG's in my office and it is great.

If you just wanted the distortion sounds, I would buy the Cube 15 for under $100.

Very portable.

I didn't see Dave's post above. That price on the Roland Cube 30 is killer! I paid over $300 at a local GC and I still think that I got a great deal.

Comment

I was just going to recommend the cube 30; I played a friends a couple weeks ago and loved it; very nice tones; an immaculate clean (it basically nails the sound of a JC) and very nice high-gain models too.

I like it so much I ordered one, can't wait for it to get here [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

honestly you'll be happier with a pod if you have the comp speakers handy.

you can quickly dial in the reverb and delay just right for shreading!

plus you can take it home and demo songs with it and cut out 85% of the hassle.

or just get an old peavey rage!

~JW
                          Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

greg,
                            look on the bay for a GK250ML (gallien krueger)
                            this was the greatest bedroom amp ever made.
                            you can use it as a head and play it through a marshall, or you can just play it by itself.
                            it has balls, and it is tiny. trust me on this one. they are fuckin' great.
                            Not helping the situation since 1965!

Comment

try out this http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=10171

I got one that I bought for bedroom practice to save some tube life on my Marshall.
                              shawnlutz.com

Comment

i'm not sure if they still make it, but i've got a peavey rage 158, 15 watts 8 inch speaker. this little guy rips! i've had this thing for about 9 or 10 years now i guess, so i don't know if they still make them. but worth checking out. anything outside of a small bedroom isn't going to sound very good of course, but in my room it does the shred thing very nicely.

Comment

Working...
                                X