10 inch speakers for low levels?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 10 inch speakers for low levels?

I'm thinking about either buying or putting together a 2X10 or even an 2X8 cabinet for low bedroom/Apt levels.

I won't be pushing much more than 15 watts or so.
    The goal is to get decent sound at slighlty abouve conversation/stereo listening levels.

I want a small package that sounds good to take to the GFs apartment. I've got my amp/preamp set up.. just need the speakers.

I figure 15 watts pushing 10 inches would sound better than trying to push 12s.

I found a set of vintage 1977 Rola 10 inchers at $40.00 Cdn a piece.

Am I wrong? What would you do?

Re: 10 inch speakers for low levels?

That's an interesting idea. I have no knowledge to offer, only questions.
    I wonder if the effiency of the speaker would be more important than the size...?
    Oh, Pete?

Comment

Re: 10 inch speakers for low levels?

I have had everything from stereo 5" speakers all the way up to 15". I think that for a tube amp at extremely low volumes, a 10"-12" is best. For a solid state amp or a effects preamp there is no difference until you get too loud for a bedroom. Best bet is to pick up a cheap 12" full range speaker like an eminence. They are really inexpensive and sound great at low volumes. If portability is the issue than go with 10"'s. Even the Peavey Scorpions are a dime a dozen and they sound great.

Comment

Working...
      X