My NAMM amp adventures and my dilemma

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: My NAMM amp adventures and my dilemma

Cool. I've got the last Mesa catalog but not the new one. I can't wait to check it out. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

From what the GP mag said, it sounds like they tried to bring out the absolute best qualities of the EL34s...they talked about, instead of the low end coming from the core of the earth like the Rectos, it sounds more like it's coming from 2 feet above the floor. They outlined how EL34s can meltdown (is that true?) with the amps maxed, so they rewired some things to allow the unique tonal qualities of the EL34s to come through. It was a long article, I could probably try to scan it if anyone's interested. The main focus was on the tonal abilities of the EL34s, and using that to the best in the new Mesa. It sounds like it can dish out some metal, though.

Cheers,
      Nick

Comment

For a low cost amp, I was impressed with the new tube head from B-52. The lead channel is a Dave Freidman (sp?) design (Rack Systems/CAE). I think the 100 watter lists for maybe $700?

I would grab something decent and save for the amp you want. The Peaveys are real good for the money if you want that. I use VHT myself, but Mesa Mark III,IV, Diezel Herbert/VH4, SLO, Budda , blah blah are great amps to have if you find the one you like. Engl was not at NAMM that I could see, but the Savage is a good amp too.

Comment

Working...
        X