New or used gear? Which way to go

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New or used gear? Which way to go

I'm thinking of adding to my rig and I can get some rack equip. for half price used and I was wondering if you guys are satisfied with used gear. I mean I'm looking at 2 pieces which are around 1250 new or 700 used and debating which way to go. Money isn't the issue but if I can get the same quality used why spend all that xtra $$ you know. Its just the warranties I'm concerned about. The 2 pieces are the mesa 20 20 and the Voodu valve. Thanks

Re: New or used gear? Which way to go

used gear is the only way
    Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

I'm with Rebel

Comment

Depends on the build quality of the gear. Some stuff I would be very cautious of without a warranty...

The better built stuff - THD, Bogner, VHT, etc - I would have no worries buying used as long as they didn't look beat to hell or had obvious problems.

Just my opinion...

Pete

Comment

I like to buy used. I'll let someone else over-pay, deal with if the product is a lemon, etc. Obviously, I agree with Twisteramps...if your going to buy used, the high end gear is where it's at...if you looking for something that's run of the mill (Fender, Marshall, and the other GC product lines), buy new and get that warranty.
          GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

Used gear usually is okay, warranties, regretably, are a pain in the but to cover when it comes to used. If you're incredibly concerned about the warranty, try to get it from an actual shop, not online. Too many faceless ripoffs.

Comment

The main things I worry about buying used are speakers... I worry about the abuse they may have seen.

Otherwise, every thing I own is ebay used except my Jackson 91 USA Fusion bought new.

I know that it sure is hard to send someone a large sum (like say $1100+ dollars haha) for something you haven't seen in person though, hehe...

Comment

well, both of my Amps are Used, but not by choice, but because they are both discontinued models and I knew they were of very good quality. 1 is the VHT Pittbull CLX-100 Combo with EQ and the other is a Peavey Ultra 2x12 combo. I payed market value for the VHT and got a pretty good deal on the Ultra. I would buy New for the right amp or product and have [img]graemlins/band.gif[/img] Jack.

Comment

I'd buy all new if I had dough to burn! But, I'm poor, so I scrounge for the deal and let someone else take the hit on the new stuff, then get it when they aren't so enamoured with it anymore, hehe... I got a very nice CAE3+se for $1100 when the new ones are around $1700+.

Man, I'm freaking for the new Engl "Second Edition" and just found one on da bay for $2450, aaaaaaggghhhh!!!...

Comment

yes John!I'd like to mess with it too! [img]graemlins/drool2.gif[/img]

Comment

I always go with used gear unless I can get a new one for a great deal. I like to let someone else take the hit on resale not me.

Comment

Well it sounds like a broken record but I ALWAYS buy used gear. I love used gear. The only things I buy new are strings and cables.
                        I picked up a complete set of gold Schecter machine heads yesterday for $30 bucks. They will fit in place of the Crown heads, which I can never get.

Comment

I'd buy used if it looked great, and have someone who knows that particular type of gear to check it out and see if it's up to spec.

When it comes to amps, some brands just don't make 'em anymore the way they used to...especially Marshall tube heads IMO.
                          Other stuff might be out of production, like Matchless, the first 5150 etc.
                          I'd go with what Twisteramps said.

- Rune.

Comment

I have 11 guitars, 1 bass, and 3 amps, and I bought them all used. I rarely buy new - just too expensive.

Comment

How happy have you been buying guitars used, sight unseen? I've tried it a few times and been disappointed (condition not as described or just didn't have the tone). Seems like too much of a gamble and you can end up spending a lot buying used trying to get to one you like. Am I just too picky? [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                              X