Good pedal or FX for Beginner?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good pedal or FX for Beginner?

I'm new to guitars and am looking at buying either a pedal or effects processor... I'm currently using a small amp and would like to get "a bit more" out of my guitar and make it that much more entertaining to play. I've looked at everything from a stompbox to a multi-button board and am just not sure as to what I need or what is massive overkill... While I'm gunning for a nice and heavy metal sound, I'm also not opposed to playing other things.

Any and all advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

P.S. - So far I've been looking at the Digitech RP50 through to the GNX1 as well as the Boss MT-2 and ME-50... It's a wide range...

Re: Good pedal or FX for Beginner?

I'm guessing you're going through one of those small practice combos and there's really not much you can do with those, unfortunately. About the best you can do is use a good distortion pedal (Boss DS-1 and Metal Zone are good for this) with an EQ (Boss GE-7 does the job). Other than that all I can recommend is a better amp. It's an endless cycle, believe me. I've been playing about nine years now and still don't have the sound I want. [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

BM is right, a good distortion pedal would be the first thing I would consider. I wouldn't look into any expensive procesorrs or stuff until you have a better amp to run them through.

That being said, Boss IMO, makes some great pedals that are suited for beginners, and pros alike. They sound great ,at least to me, and aren't too expensive.

Now if you have a distorted sound out of your amp that you like, A chorus pedal for clean stuff is a pretty decent first pedal, or a delay can be pretty fun also. It really depends on what your are into and what you want to do.

I have one of each of these , flange, chorus, delay, overdrive, phaser , Eq, and to be honest, the hardest thing is trying to decide what I want to use for any particular thing, so it can be overwhelming and it would make sense to really think about what you would use the most, unless you have the money to go out and buy them all [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] I hope this helps instead of confuseing the heck out of you.
      Madness Reigns......... In the Hall of the Mountain King!

Comment

Go for the Digitech GNX, get the smallest (cheapest) one.

It should have plenty of effects and different sounds, and you will learn a lot from it, being a beginner.

Take the time to learn how to manipulate the effects, not just use the factory presets. I've seen a lot of players buy some hefty processors, and they use like one or two of the presets, and that's it. [img]graemlins/nono.gif[/img] That's a waste of machinery.

nandrew

Comment

Thanks for the help so far everyone...

I have another add-on question... Would buying the Boss ME-50 be a good/great way to go? Rick indicates that he has many pedals - all of those pedals added up would equal well over the cost of a new ME-50... Just curious.

Thanks again!

Comment

honestly i'd like to see you look into a Bearhinger Vintager. i think you'd be better off getting a better combo amp with biult in effects and such with a little more power than what you currently have.

~JW
            Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

If you do have a small practice amp look for a small multi effects unit as sugested with a headphone (stereo) jack. Depending on what amp your using you may find you like the sound in the phones better than your amp and you can crank it whenever you want. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
              BEWARE BEWARE BEWARE BEWARE
              once you start getting involved in the great tone search there's no turning back.

BUT IT'S ALL GOOD as they say
              You are aware of G.A.S. aren't you?

Comment

Working...
              X