Dumb misunderstanding mids question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dumb misunderstanding mids question

Right, I know if I have like no mids in my tone, so its scooped as fuck, then I wont be able to be heard above the rest of my band. That I know, but how do guitarists in bands get scooped guitar tones and still get heard? How do they get through the mix?... I mean like Iced Earth (I think, I cant really remember if they're scooped as fuck or not) and Metallica on Justice...

Jamesy

Re: Dumb misunderstanding mids question

A good soundman is key...try boosting the bass and treble instead of cutting the mids.

Comment

well its not such a big problem on recordings, a good producer mixes the channels well enough so the guitars will come through even when they're completely scooped (and there are some studio tricks but I'm not too familiar with them at the moment).. but in live situations they usually play with mids.. even Dimebag who hates mids had it cranked somewhat in his tone when I saw Pantera a few years ago. I really don't think you can have no mids and still be heard well in a live situation, but maybe someone experienced will know how.

Comment

Thats pretty interesting. Thanks for clearing that up [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Jamesy

Comment

Another thing, if you're going to play with the scooped sound for your guitar, make sure your bass player turns up his mids so he'll be heard better. I remember reading Darrell say that about Pantera one time that Rex did that. That's why Jason wasn't able to be heard on the Justice album when James' low end ate up all the bass frequencies.
          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Another thing you can try is to back your gain off a tad. A little bit can go a long way.

Matt

Comment

Working...
            X