tubes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tubes

Well, the tubes are biased in pairs in the amp. so, unless thay are a matched quartet, you'd want the pairs in the right sockets at least because they could be different voltages.

If they were a matched quartet, they'd have the same bias voltage on both sets, so it wouldn't really matter where they went... I'll figure he was being cautious, and obviously considerate of you and your amp, how nice. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Re: tubes

they may be a matched quad. typically tubes vary in mA's and its good to match say, v6 and v7;v8 and v9. My el34's in my cobra are arranged like this.
    v6-32mA
    v7-31mA
    v8-30mA
    v9-34mA

so they are matched pretty well, 63 and 64mA per pair. As long as the current isnt more than 8-10mA difference than they are fine.

Comment

all my amps have had the matched pairs in the inner two / outer two slots.

like: oxxo, or abba.

~JW
      Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

tubes

When I was buying my amp, I was putting the tubes(just the power amp tubes, EL34`s) out because I had a 1000 Km to drive. The guy at the store marked them as he said that they need to be put in order.
        I don`t get that? Power tubes put in order. I thought it doesn`t matter.

Comment

The tubes were a matched quartet, that was what was confusing me.
          But yes, seems the guy was just takeing care of my amp, like the Cleve said. A miracle nowadays it seems [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
          Now it`s time to change them, so I have a tough choice in deciding what brand of tubes to put in. Maybe I`ll also get a few different kinds of preamp tubes, to play a little with them.

Comment

Working...
          X