Mesa single rectifier ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mesa single rectifier ??

I just picked up a Mesa single rectifier and 2x12 rectifier cab. I'm wondering if you guys with rectifiers use stomp boxes/effects with these amps. I have been tweaking for a couple days now and thought it would be able to get closer to a Godsmack type of sound but I can't seem to find it. Is this a misconception on my part?? This is my first tube amp so I am used to solid state stuff up to this point. I do have to say it is LOUD for only 50 watts. Clean channel sounds good to me and nailing an AC/DC type of sound was pretty easy but I'm looking the Godsmack type of sound which might require some effects. If this is the case what do you guys recommend? Thanks in advance. [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

Re: Mesa single rectifier ??

Tony doesn't use much in the way of effects...just a Crybaby, some chorus and phase, maybe a delay (used to be Boss, I don't know what he's using now). He also uses an Ashly parametric eq to dial in his tone a bit better...back when Godsmack first took off he used a graphic, but I think his tone's better since he got the parametric. Another key is Les Pauls, with stock pickups or nothing too high output-I read an interview, he said that he liked to use Seymour Duncan Pearly Gates pickups.

Comment

I ran an MXR 10 band eq thru the loop of mine. Made a huge difference. I had to crank the gain on mine in the Modern setting but found that it got a bit buzzy and flubby. It sure sounded heavy as hell though. I once ran an old Ibanez Sonic Distortion into the dirty channel for kicks and all it did was give me feedback [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

there are so many options with the rectifier.
        i prefer the modern gain, bold, with the diode or solid state instead of rectified. i keep the treb and pres off and the mid and bass and gain on full. and use volume to regain the lost high end.

its a lot more versitile than most people think. and you shouldn't need any more wattage unless you're planning on playing stadiums.

~JW
        Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

Working...
        X