BBE Sonic Maximizer + tube amp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BBE Sonic Maximizer + tube amp

I've got a tone question for anyone using a Sonic Maximizer with a tube amp. I have a couple of different Peavey Classic tube combos from the late `70s, both being single-channel 50-watt models with 6L6 power tubes (2 each) and nothing else. One is a 2x12 with matching 2x12 cab, the other a 4x10. These amps have no distortion of their own, so I'm using an ART Xtreme. I run the amp EQ at 12 o'clock across the board, and use the distortion pedal or an ART Tube EQ to boost and cut frequencies accordingly.

The reason I'm asking about the BBE is that I often read comments about how it sounds like "a blanket was lifted from my amp". This interests me because, while those old Peaveys have great, warm tone, they also get saturated so easily and have such an inherently mid-heavy sound that the distortion is almost too thick, even if I turn down the mids or easy off the drive. I don't want to take away from the otherwise excellent sound of the amps, but there must be something that can make the highs a bit more clear and the lows less fuzzy. Thoughts?
    sigpic

Re: BBE Sonic Maximizer + tube amp

there must be something that can make the highs a bit more clear and the lows less fuzzy. Thoughts? [/QB]
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Yep, BBE Sonic Maximizer [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Seriously, though, I'm using one with my Blue Voodoo, and it's a world of difference. I didn't think much of it until I hooked my bass player's up to my amp. I went and bought one the next day.

Comment

I have a couple and do not us them anymore. I really don't like what they do to the amps I have now. I find that they sound synthetic, and get boomy and sizzly at high volumes, and seem to make make you dissapear from the mix in a band situation. I try the one I have sometimes, re-affirm my decision and put them back. I feel they sound best if you play a lot by yourself as they raise bass and treble, sorta a what a loudness button does. Most pros rack guys I kjnow have had them. And got tired of them eventually. I shoot for a good tube amp and EQ.

HOWEVER, some amps do sound pretty good wih them. One that comes to mind is the 5150, it really works well with a BBE 422A (which IMO is the best sounding unit for guitar) so other Peaveys may do as well with a BBE. Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by axtogrind:
        I'm trying to ween myself off of it.
        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">wean [img]graemlins/poke.gif[/img]
        "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

they react differently to different amps. For example, I used to use a 362 with my old 5150 mesa quad and it made it A LOT better. But now with my framus cobra the bbe doesnt do much at all, it adds more presence it seems but it doesnt really make the sound any more articulate.

Comment

I meant the old English, "to suppose." [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

So much for resolutions... [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

K
            The JCF-er Formerly Known as axtogrind.

myspace.com/boogieblockmusic

Comment

Originally posted by axtogrind:

So much for resolutions... [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

K
              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Go READ my resolution, goofy! [img]graemlins/evilimages/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
              "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

I'm trying to ween myself off of it.
                <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Use ween in a sentence...

Racer X is a Ween-ie [img]graemlins/poke.gif[/img]

Comment

He could've been subconsciously coming up with a new use of the word, like Ween the band, which is a useless crappy band. By extension, to Ween oneself of an item is to get rid of something that has become useless and crappy for one's purposes!

It's a stretch, but plausible! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
                  Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

There's many colors in the homo-rainbow. Show me yours, I'm gonna show you MIIIIIIIIIIINE! [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/poke.gif[/img]

Comment

I have a 422a in the loop of my new-ish (to me) Blue Voodoo, and I'm trying to ween myself off of it.

At practice levels, it helps: I personally like the punchy bottom end. (That may just be my bassist roots.) But I got an eye-opener recently after doing some a/b recording of the same riffs: I was making an MP3 to email a buddy, to show him how much better it sounded with the 422a in the loop, so I did a "before and after."

While recording, it sounded WAY better with the BBE switched in. But when I played it back, the BBE sounded like ass, and the 'dry' version sounded AWESOME. Like Cleveland Metal (John, is it?) said, the BBE sounded "boomy and sizzly" - particularly sizzly and buzzy at the top. Same mic, same cab, same placement, same everything: just once the riff bybassing the loop, and once through the loop.

So I'm trying to ween myself off of it, and get better at dialing in what I'm looking for at the amp. I don't perform, so if I can't use the BBE when recording, I don't have any use for it, really, except to get that added punch at lower levels.

Sorry, guys, just sort of thinking out loud... [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Keith

Comment

My name is Keith, and I've gone TWO DAYS without using my BBE. ("Hi, Keith!")

That's two days, and about 4 hours of playing. Without the Maximizer. I think I'm done.

K

Comment

Who would have known there were SO many people with the "stick in the ear" fetish on the board here! And I thought I was the only one!

Stu

Comment

I tried one in between my preamp and power amp and didn't like it. I could find a setting I liked for rhythm stuff but then the lead tone blew and vice versa. It kind of made the tone sound over processed in my rig. But it depends on what your using I guess. I've heard other tube rigs sound great with the 422A. I like the Rocktron ProQ for enhance my tone. It's more expensive but offers a lot more options to tailor your tone more.
                            We must!
                            We must!
                            We must increase the bust!
                            The bigger the better!
                            The tighter the sweater!
                            The boys are counting on us!

Comment

Sonic Maximizers are freaking great! I've only used one with a 5150. It did sound like a blanket being lifted off of the cab. The sound is just so much better.

Comment

Working...
                              X